Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are chinchillas smarter than rats?  (Read 5500 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Are chinchillas smarter than rats?
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »

My family was talking about what is the world's smartest animal. There are popular published lists that put rats in the top 10. I've owned rats and it seems that chinchillas display more complex social behaviors. I was wondering if anyone has come across any studies comparing rats to chins in problem solving tests.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

almost vegan

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Are chinchillas smarter than rats?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:17:19 PM »

I think chinchillas are relatively smart, but compared to rats they're dumb. Many chins dont even know their own names!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:15:25 AM »

It's a lot to do with the owners.
If you put animal in a cage and just feed it your not going to have an animal that is social with humans.
I have both rats and chins and find them to be very similar in intelligence.They can both learn or be conditioned,and their own abilities with in the species seem quite intelligent to me.
A chin not knowing his name is not a sign of un-intelligence , he wasn't taught. ;)
All my chins know their names, know the routine and are conditioned to get back in their cage on cue.
As rats don't live very long I have not tried this with them.But they sure know their routine and their names.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »

i dont have rats, and chins are very smart, but i always heard that rats are really smart and can be trained to do alot, so i say rats are most definately smarter than chins
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »

I've seen people train chinchillas on youtube. It often involves bribing chins with food or a scratch on the chin, and I've seen this done in absolutely the wrong way (too much of the wrong treats) too, but I've seen it. There was one that was trained to jump over an object and return, another that would put its front leg up on your hand. There was one that would allow you to pose it and it would just stay put. But then there's the question of problem solving, which is how they measure rat intelligence, like using things as tools and getting through mazes. That was one of things I'm curious about.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »

I have not owned rats however I know that they are very smart. I can't think of any studies done with chins and mazes or problem solving but I will search some of the school databases to see if anything comes up. I don't have a maze built for Dexter (my chin) however I do have two tunnels (3 if you count his snack shak log which about as long as he is). However if you watch him he will make his own obstacle course and go through it qtimesaver few times. If you have a positive tone of voice and cheer him on he keeps going faster and popcorns during it, if you stop he just flies into his cage! I have trained him to 'walkie' and 'kisses' with treats, but have also trained him to jump on cue using no treats so they are pretty smart :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up