Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding a female  (Read 1440 times)

chinchillapals

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
adding a female
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:57 AM »

i have decided to add a female to my cage with my violet male and standard v/c female
i think what i want is something that is a violet carrier but i wondered what would i get if i add something that has a touch of velvet
any one have any ideas or color suggestion for a female that would maximize my color chances i would welcome any feed back bye for now ...tami

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: adding a female
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »

Are you looking only at what this pair will produce or are you planing to breed those babies?

Unless the female you add is a violet carrier your male will basically breed like a standard (with the chance of less quality babies) So adding a Black or Brown Velvet will just give you v/c standards or v/c velvets. The color won't change from the Violet.  If you are not planning to breed the babies I wouldn't suggest it because violet just brings down the quality. 

If you are trying to eventually breed those Velvet violet carriers back to Violet to get a Violet Velvet, that is a different story.  I have done a lot of work with Violets and created a beautiful champion line and it was hard.  I found the best way was to Always breed Violet Carrier to Violet Carrier whenever possible.  (And those were show quality).  Breeding the carriers gives you all of the benefits of the standard, but gives you the possible violet outcome.

Also, you do need to be careful when you put two females together, especially with a male in the cage.  Females are territorial and will fight to the death.  Even if you can get them together you could have problems when a girl gets hormonal from pregnancy and then again when one delivers.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: adding a female
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »

I just posted on another thread my experience with trios. I had a pair that I added a female too. All was great, the second female had a littler and both females cared for the kits. Put dad back in 7 days, and all was ducky. Then out of the blue months later the new girl turned on the old girl and killed her ::cry222:::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up