Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: did lost chinchills have her babies!  (Read 4886 times)

marchevie123

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
did lost chinchills have her babies!
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »

my chinchilla was lost for two days,now I don't know if she had her babies.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: did lost chinchills have her babies!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »

Do you know when she conceived? Gestation is about 111 days for a chin.
Also listen for noises in the vent if you're not sure. Listen everywhere in the house again. Chinchilla babies are generally noisy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:18:31 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

marchevie123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »

shes the one lost in the vent,i don't know how far along she was,I only know she was pregnant cause her nipples were long I read that was a sign,since I just got her i didn't hold her alot to know how big her stomach was,I know with kittens you can tell if they've been nursing cause the fur will b wet and pulled out around the nipples,but I don't know how to tell with chinchillas,so now I don't know if I should keep her in her cage or let her out,if she had the babies i have to let her out to go back to them don't I

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:35 PM »

No don't let her out. There are plenty of things that can kill her outside of the cage very easily. It is true that signs of nursing for chins include missing hair. The nipples will usually protrude beyond the fur line come birth time.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

I recommend you take her to the vet to have her examined and x-rayed. They can determine if there are any babies and if she may have ingested anything that is potentially unsafe.

marchevie123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »

OK there not that long yet and i had to search through her hair to find them and there is no sign of nursing at all.but her stomach does not feel round at all but I'm not sure it did before cause I did not hold her that much.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »

Excellent. You should be able to tell later in her term with no question and the nipples should be easily locatable. She probably was a little rounder before she went without food and water for a few days.

marchevie123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »

Thank you so much,you have been so much help to me,I really appreciate it.I'm so happy shes back.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »

You're very welcome. I am too.

marchevie123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »

Im worried she did have her babies she seems so much smaller then she did.I hope its since she went with out food and water,I just dont want to think the babies are somewhere and there hungry!

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about babies. A nursing chin will have very large nipples.
However I am worried that she has gone through a lot of stress with a recent move as well as being outside of the cage for a long time. This can cause her to back off their food and water and have intestinal trouble that can be fatal if not managed. Chins can drop weight very rapidly and die quickly. Make sure she is eating and drinking. I strongly recommend you take her to the vet as soon as possible for an exam. He may be able to give you some extra dietary supplements for her.

marchevie123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »

I talked to him today and he was very worried about that also,he thinks moving her again to bring her in would be a bad idea since she just got here and was in the car for two hours,but he has given me a list of things I need to do and get her,which makes me more worried for her i just hope she is OK,he said something about them being able to abort there babies if there in enough stress i really hope this is not true,I feel bad enough for all she has gone through.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 06:16:08 AM »

It is true that chins may abort the babies if they are stressed enough but I know of pregnant chins who get stressed and come out just fine too. As you know it's important to make sure she stays as comfortable as possible and that she keeps eating and drinking. It makes it especially difficult because you are still unfamiliar to her so there's not much you can actively do that will comfort her (like giving her attention, which she might not like too much until she adjusts to her now surroundings) so it's best to be as passive as possible and consistent as possible doing the same things the same way to avoid surprises.

It sounds like you have a very good vet who is more interested in the welfare of the animal than making money on your case. Sometimes it's difficult in a situation like this trying to weigh the benefit of the care vs the stress the care causes.

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »

I hope she's okay and the babies too.
My chinchilla had pneumonia towards the end of her first pregnancy. She didn't like being handled at all anyway but we had to give her an antibiotic twice a day for about 2 weeks. This meant holding her and trying to syringe it into her mouth twice a day. She was very wriggly and we were terrified that we were squeezing her too tight. She shed a lot of fur. There was also multiple vet visits (two hour trek each time on public transport). Despite all the stress, she was fine and gave birth to two healthy kits. Sometimes you get lucky. My fingers are crossed for you.

marchevie123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

She seems to be doing very well shes playfull in her cage and yells at me any time I get near her,unless I'm giving her a raisin.My  vet did tell me to give her a small piece of dried mango or papaya to build up her weight the only problem is she will not eat them,is there any thing else i can give her as a snack once a day besides raisins,she will eat them sometimes but not often.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up