Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: breeding  (Read 4744 times)

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
breeding
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »

hello

ive two females and a male and a vet told me that if i breed a female with my male and after with the other female the second one will kill my male  i found awkward but he is a vet can somebody hell me.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: breeding
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do.  Do you want them all to live in the same cage?  Females are territorial and will fight each other so having three in the same cage could be trouble.  Chinchillas mate for life and need to bond before they breed.  You can't put a male in with one female then remove him and place him with another.  They take time to bond and take the male into their cage.  If you put them together too fast they will kill each other.

If you want to breed one male to several females I recommend ranch run breeding.  If you do a search you will see pictures of the special cage where each girl has her own cage and they are connected by a tunnel.  The females wear a collar that is too big to fit in the tunnel.  The male has his own cage as well but can visit the females through the tunnel.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do.  Do you want them all to live in the same cage?  Females are territorial and will fight each other so having three in the same cage could be trouble.  Chinchillas mate for life and need to bond before they breed.  You can't put a male in with one female then remove him and place him with another.  They take time to bond and take the male into their cage.  If you put them together too fast they will kill each other.

If you want to breed one male to several females I recommend ranch run breeding.  If you do a search you will see pictures of the special cage where each girl has her own cage and they are connected by a tunnel.  The females wear a collar that is too big to fit in the tunnel.  The male has his own cage as well but can visit the females through the tunnel.

no its like this i know they take time to bond and im doing that and my question was if i put my female with my male and like after a year put him with another male is like that because a vet told me .

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »

If you remove him from the first female after a year you might have a problem with depression since they bond for life.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »

I have tried a trio but one female ended up killing the other. ::cry222:::
I am now trying to intro 2 new females with males. Had 2 females in the same cage, and when I introduced them to the male one was fine but the other hated him. So much so that even after I let the one play with the male the other turned on her.Took me hours to get them back in the same cage.Tricky stuff I tell ya.
Debbie.nl.ca

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »

I have tried a trio but one female ended up killing the other. ::cry222:::
I am now trying to intro 2 new females with males. Had 2 females in the same cage, and when I introduced them to the male one was fine but the other hated him. So much so that even after I let the one play with the male the other turned on her.Took me hours to get them back in the same cage.Tricky stuff I tell ya.

yeah with me is appening the same one its ok with him he did the "dance" and every thing (it was really funny) but the other my god i dont know what to do i let them out andi do like male with one female after that with the other but my standart female is driving me crazy and when the male was in the pet carrier and she was trying to hurt him my "good" female tryed to stop and the "bad" one bit her ....

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »

The best thing to do is separate the two females so they cannot fight with each other. Otherwise they might kill each other because they both want the male. You can give the male access to the females one at a time as long as either female will not fight with the male.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »

No it was because one wanted nothing to do with the male. Even picking up the males scent from the female that liked him was enough to send the other female into a fighting frenzy.She wasn't having him or his scent in her cage  ;)
Males will fight to get at the females because they want her,never seen a female fight to be with a male. :blush2:
Debbie.nl.ca

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »

Thank you for straightening all that out. I really should have known that but got it backwards. Now I'll remember. :doh:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:00:35 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up