Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding a female to the cage  (Read 2258 times)

chinnchillapals

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
adding a female to the cage
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »

hi all i am new to this forum i am not new to chinchillas i had the years ago
then i had to let my whole herd go when my health went down hill  ::cry222:::
my health is now managed by alot of meds rofl I now have just 1 cage with a violet male and a standard grey v/c female
my hubby told me i can add 1 female to the cage so i am very excited but i am not sure what color to go with since my male is a violet
can anyone help me with my color choice?
i am thinking about a mosaic can you breed a violet mosaic? if not why? ::shrug::
maybe a pink and white
see i am just lost i want to maximize my chances for color mutations
i promised my hubby i would not add anymore cages to the house so i want to be careful about my choice
i have never put more than 2 females and 1 male to a cage even if the cage is huge so i want to make the best choice i can since its the last one i may get for a long time
bye all thanks for your time and help bye for now...Tami  :::grins::
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:58:13 PM by chinnchillapals »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: adding a female to the cage
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »

You might want to consider what mutations are generally recognized and go from there. If you do a search for violet mosaic you find it can produce a very nice but subtle color pattern. A TOV could work with both the grey and violet genes but may not be as pronounced unless you breed a TOV/violet carrier. If you do get babies though wouldn't that require another cage?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinnchillapals

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »

the second cage thing only applys to permanent cages we have a baby cage we have a dad cage i dont breedback so dad gets his own cage for a few days or mom and kits move to a new cage it depends on the situation but the big cage is the only permanent cage
i have like 6 cages all different sizes but the big one is the only one is always in use

i had 13 chinchillas when i got sick i sold alot of my bigger cages when i sold my herd they over ran the living room so i promised my hubby i would keep it small
i am not healthy enough for large scale breeding and even when i had 13 they all had their own large cages i had beige's black velvets standard greys and a mosaic

as a matter of fact my avatar has been floating around the net for years but it is my very first chinchilla her name was mitchew and i cut her out of a pic mirrored it and boom it looks like she is running  rofl
bye for now ...Tami

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »

I took a video of a chin on a wheel I found online and then made an animation based off of it in 8 frames that made a perfect loop. I love the two frame walk that you have that was really creative. Mine is supposed to be a violet wrap btw.

Which I suppose you could try but you would have to breed an ebony into the line. Seems like it might be worth a try since you already have it in two of them although it's tough to get a good one.  I think the tov violet coloring is prettier though.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:43:28 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinnchillapals

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »

i love doing all kinds of graphic work

when i went to pick my pair up we had a very long drive back it took a long time for them to accept a treat from up we had to lay it in the cage for them
they are now very friendly but my female was so very pregnant and the night we got her the lady told me she might be pregnant and then jerked her up by her tail \
i could see she was very close to delivery but it was to late to say anything about the way she picked her up
then there was the drive back home anyway she went into early labor the second night we had her i believe she was in labor all that first day and she had 4 kits that night 3 violets and 1 standard male he made it but the 3 violets did not he is quite healthy though and my oldest daughter is taking him
my male is very pretty how do i tell if her has tov he looks so hazy i have never seen a violet in real life untill i got my male and i dont know how to tell if he has tov
i emailed the lady i got him from and asked her if there is any velvets in his blood line
wow i ramble bad sorry but i forgot how fun it is talking with other chinny people  rofl  :blush2:  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:31:04 PM by chinnchillapals »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »

Wow that is heartbreaking. It seems like dangling by the tail wouldn't cause injury to the kits though. Wouldn't it take direct pressure to the belly to do that? I wonder if it was a coincidence that the violets died. Could that be an issue with inbreeding?

The best way to know if there's TOV of course is to know what's in the bloodline. It should be nice and white on the bottom, violet on the top, but just darker than normal violet. There should be no black tip on the fur.

I'm not really a chinnie person yet. I really want one to keep as a pet but I need to move to a permanent place to live. I'm hoping that will happen later this year but the timeframe keeps moving up. I am fascinated by chins and breeding them (I'm not planning on being a breeder but I enjoy discussions on it) and am actively involved in helping Jamie with areas of development for her vchins game. Recently I helped to develop a realistic color genetics engine and am involved in a continuing effort to improve and verify its accuracy. So it's fun to talk about this now that it's real chins. Most of my info is coming third hand some by very knowledgeable breeders and some sources that may not be the best but I am still learning. Maybe we can get some more opinions here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:18:44 PM by GrayRodent »
Pages: [1]   Go Up