Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Sick Chin:(  (Read 4649 times)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Help Sick Chin:(
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »

I think Mazuri rocks :) glad to know he is feeling better!  I have heard that Mazuri pellets make chins have smaller and sometimes softer poops so if you notice them a bit smaller don't worry. The food on him is okay, like Gray said use the washcloth. How long has it been since his dustbath? If its been a while you may still need to give him one, try having it with an open container and not for too long. Watch him closely.
Another thing I do with my chin (even tho he's healthy) is give him 500mg of Vitamin C once a week. I give him the chewables I found at walmart and he loves them!
I think since you had the fiesta mix (I know which one you're talking about) your chin picked through and ate all the yummy stuff that he shouldn't be eating (like treats). Many companies claim stuff is good for chinchillas but isn't; another good example of something to never get is that 12" 'chinchilla' exercise wheel from Petsmart. Every chinparent learned day by day :-)

GizmoGadget

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »

That is excellent that your chin is starting to eat on his own. Water is critically important too so watch this closely. Constipation and dehydration is a big concern through this.

I'm not too concerned that the stuff on his fur will cause any harm unless it becomes matted. You might want to take a damp washcloth and wipe it off when that happens. Just try not to get the fur around it wet and blot it dry as best as possible. If it's really hard and can't come off it will grow out eventually. I still don't recommend commencing dust baths until after those respiratory symptoms are cleared up.

Typically it's recommended to change their diet gradually to prevent upsetting the normal balances of gut flora but everything is so messed up right now I wonder if it will make any difference. I think the yogurt suggestion makes a lot of sense to help restore the good germs that are needed for digestion since the antibiotic kills those too. Just be sure to give it about 20 minutes after the baytril. Giving it at the same time may reduce the benefit of both.

I'm glad to hear there are signs of recovery but be on close guard.

Yeah before i came too work he seemed better but im lettin my guard down yet yeah i know to change the diet gradually but i was desperate to have him eating :( but thanks alot gray :) you were alot help

GizmoGadget

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »

I think Mazuri rocks :) glad to know he is feeling better!  I have heard that Mazuri pellets make chins have smaller and sometimes softer poops so if you notice them a bit smaller don't worry. The food on him is okay, like Gray said use the washcloth. How long has it been since his dustbath? If its been a while you may still need to give him one, try having it with an open container and not for too long. Watch him closely.
Another thing I do with my chin (even tho he's healthy) is give him 500mg of Vitamin C once a week. I give him the chewables I found at walmart and he loves them!
I think since you had the fiesta mix (I know which one you're talking about) your chin picked through and ate all the yummy stuff that he shouldn't be eating (like treats). Many companies claim stuff is good for chinchillas but isn't; another good example of something to never get is that 12" 'chinchilla' exercise wheel from Petsmart. Every chinparent learned day by day :-)

Yeah i think gimzo knew that Mazuri rocks cause i just opened the bag and he went crazy jumping everywhere.. he got a dustbath bout 3 days ago... is it specially made vitamin c only for chins or is it human type? lol idk im learnin.... but yeah im learnin day by day :) tryin to be a good chinparent

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 06:19:08 PM »

How's your chin's output tonight?  You should be noticing a marked increase.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GizmoGadget

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »

How's your chin's output tonight?  You should be noticing a marked increase.

This morning i checked his cage and he had small output better than before where it was nothin at all i also noticed hes been drinking water on his own now too not alot but a decent amount  compared too nothing he sounds better i think he doesnt seem in that much distress as before and hes some what more active now hell come to the cage door and wait for some tlc so overall i see a improvement in the little guy ;)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

I am very glad to hear that. Thanks for the update.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GizmoGadget

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »

Ill keep updated tomorrow im off so im gonna spend all dayy with giz :) and lately he hasnt been fightin me with the medication administration

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »

I got the vitamin c for humans; 500 mg chewables :)

jaime_riri

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »

It sound like the same thing I'm experiencing with my little guy. I made a video of mine. Does your sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WTqrjC8EA&feature=youtu.be

ohio chinny

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »

umm... jaime_riri, i think your chin might be just fine. The sound your chin makes in the video, thats the same sound my chin makes when she's irritated. Yours may be doing it for other reasons, but im not sure anything is actually wrong with your chin. chins can make some pretty interesting sounds sometimes... ::silly::
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up