Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pregnant Chin  (Read 2176 times)

samy0820

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Pregnant Chin
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:20:10 AM »

I have 2 chins. A male and a female. I want to breed them and she is currently expecting! I am very excited because they are my children! I cant wait to be a chinnie grandma!! She has gotten very big and is starting to get very lazy. I have done a lot of research on the internet about pregnancy. I am prepared for whatever may happen. The only problem I have is that my boyfriend and I dont know when they mated. We have had the male for about a year and a half. He is about 3 years old. We didnt get the female till late september. We put them in cages next to each othe until they were comfortable and finally put them in the same cage. They have been inseperable ever since! They have been sharing a cagen since the first week of October. I just wanted to ask some more experienced breeders if they could possible help us guess about how long she has left. I know its difficult and different for every chin. But any help would be great. I am constantly checking on her thinking it could be any time. I've been having to feed her twice a day. shes been drinking more than normal and like I said she is getting very lazy and constantly laying around. She still gets excited when I go in their room. Her belly has just gotten so big she cant move as fast anymore :) If anyone could help that would be great! Also, is there an average weight of a pregnant chinnie? she is an average size normally. But I had never weighed her before. Thank you for anyone who can help!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Pregnant Chin
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »

from what i have learned from all the breeders, one can't tell how long into the prego they are, you also need to remove the male when she has the kits cuz he can breed her again, and that really isnt the best thing for her. 

and please be careful with breeding, no matter how much researcch you did on the web, trust me you are not ready to breed, i'm am not saying that to be rude, i am saying that cuz i was asking breeders lots and lots of questions at one time and thought i was ready, and i found out, i wasn't.  you can't believe the things that couldd possibly go wrong with chin prego.  i'm not saying it WILL happen, but can happen and you can end up with a very broken heart.  i have heard stories that are so scary. 

i do hope everything goes smoothly for you. 

ps one way to tell if she is close to delivery is if her teets are very long and the ends are white..pregnancy's last 111 days.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

samy0820

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »

Thank you. I understand that things can go wrong. And someone can only be as prepared as possible and hope for the best! I know there is nothing more I can do except for being prepared. I think im as ready as I can be at this time. I know you are not beingrude any advice is better than none. I have removed the male since we don't know how soon it will be. I have tried to check her nipples and she didnt want me to do that. So I have just been leaving her alone. Normally she loves being petted but not lately. When she sits up I try to look and see if I can see them. The male has gotten very protective of her even though they are seperated. Thank you for the advice.

samy0820

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

I just weighed her and she weighs 776 g.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »

one thing i noticed with mine, and again i only bred a few times so i'm no pro here, but i did see much change in her attidude, i remember thinking...what is wrong with you....then a few days later...kits where here, so i realized it was most likely cuz she was getting close to delivery.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

samy0820

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »

Yes her attitude is very different the past couple days. Normally she loves to be pet and very friendly but, now she doesnt want to be touched or bothered at all. So I just let her be. She is laying around a lot lately especially on her side. She  will eat twice a day and pretty much lay around the rest of the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up