Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make chins breed?  (Read 1847 times)

TheFreedomAngel

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
How to make chins breed?
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »

Hi All,

I have 2 pairs of chins (2 males, 2 females), I've had them for 1.5 years, and I plan to make them breed. I have 2 main cages where I put same sex together, but normally they do not see each other (cages are top and bottom) other than when I let them out to play in my room each weekend, and occasionally I would put a pair in a small shelf compartment so they can smell each other. I bought a new cage to try to put each pair into it to breed. The first pair (sapphire male and white female) went in and seemed to be alright in the beginning, then afterwards the male tried to hump the female, but the female would run away, and sometimes even shoot urine to the male. There was a moment when the male successfully landed on her back, but after about 10 seconds the female would jump away. I took the female out and I can set something wet and sticky on her private area and her back. I am not sure if they successfully mated or not, and I cannot tell if the female is pregnant other than a slightly increased appetite.

The second pair (chocolate male and ebony female) ended up into a urine shooting fight.

I really want both pairs to have babies, what is the easiest way? Any methods breeders use to breed?

Thanks,
TFA

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: How to make chins breed?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:15 PM »

Chinchillas are not like other animals.  I know with rabbits, dogs, and many other animals it is normal practice to put opposite sex pairs together for a few hours or days to breed and then separate them again.  Chinchillas are not like that.  They mate for life.  They must meet, get acquainted, bond, and then eventually they will breed.  You have to put them together to live before you will have babies.  Sometimes they will breed in a few weeks and sometimes it takes months, and even a year or more. 

Then you have another problem, because by the time the mom has her babies the male will be so bonded to her he may stop eating and drinking when you separate them. 

Also, the female's are dominate and do not take to a male easily.  They need to be in cages side by side for a few weeks before you put them together.  If you put them together too fast one could kill the other.

I think it would be a good idea to do a lot more research on chinchillas before you try to breed them.  I'm afraid that if you don't know the general basics of breeding you probably haven't learned about all of the other areas of breeding you will need to know also.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »

pls dont take this the wrong way, but please do your research before youu breed, and also make sure youo have a good pari of chins [from a reputable breeder] before you just breed any two chins i just from someone. 

alot of things can go wrong, and the worst, is that youu can lose the mom.. thats why its a good thing to learn, learn learn. and i am ssaying this cuz i thought i did a good amount of research before i tried it, and i buried about 4, lost one mom, and some kits.. its very heartbreaking.. i have realized some of the mistake i made, but not all the issues were me, it was just nature not working out correct, but if i knew more, i could of at least save the mom

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »

What is your goal for breeding them? in particular the sapphire and the white together? Is the female even a sapphire carrier? sapphires are recessive you will not get anything sapphire from a white female unless she is also a carrier. Otherwise it is a huge risk in quality both sapphires and whites have weak fur qualities.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up