Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: malocclusion  (Read 6325 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: malocclusion
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »

what did the vet say? any progress? has she started eating anything at all?

i was thinking about pika today and thought i'd mention that for some, a dental is quite an uncomfortable procedure. i know it doesn't sound like much, filing teeth, but they have to have their mouth forced open, getting the cheeks out of the way and all and the mouth must feel very different afterwards. from experience, stopping eating is the first thing they do when they're not feeling well (this is teeth, respiratory, gut.. mae even stops eating when she's on heat sometimes!), and given she's not been given any pain relief, it's probably the same as us having a minor procedure and not take anything for it.

as for euthanasia, i would say that the time to think about it is if the dental's been done, she's been on pain relief and hand fed for a few weeks and she's still absolutely refusing to do anything - eating, is lethargic, doesn't want to play, doesn't want anything (they can still bounce back from this state but obviously if it's prolonged, it's probably kinder to let go). also, if she has a dental and is happy to take liquid food, if you have to hand feed her all the time between dentals, it's probably time to let go. but your case is very early days still. let us know how she's doing! :)

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »

Only euthanize as a very last resort.  There were times where one of my chins seemed to be at the end when she was 3, but I fought on, and she lived til she was 9.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »

today is a sad day. pika went downhill quick, staying hunched over in cage, refused to eat anything, and when being handfed wouldnt even swallow. the vet gave her pain meds the other day, but didnt make a difference. she began to have fluid coming out her nose too, and was super dehydrated. Pikas quality of life was totally gone, she was euthanized this morning. It was the hardest thing i had to do, but it was in her best interest. she's not in pain anymore, she will be missed so much.  :'(

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »

i am so very sorry to hear that :( it's possible she had overgrown roots - this could explain the nasal discharge. there is absolutely nothing to be done when the top roots elongate so much they reach the nasal cavity so if that was the case there's absolutely nothing you could have done. it's a shame the vet didn't do the xrays to start with.

very sorry you've lost your baby :(

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »

thanks dianah. its a little easier knowing that she's not uncomfortable and in pain anymore, but its so sad watching her sister sleep alone in her bed today. i hope she doesnt get depressed having just lost her best friend  ::cry222:::

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »

you could get her a soft toy to keep her company, i know it sounds a bit silly but it does work. just make sure there are no parts she can eat. i got my boys 'stuffies' from hammocky hammocks when i separated them when they got to five months (had to, there are girls around) and ffynn absolutely loves his strawberry stuffy :)

on another note, is her sister her actual sister? the reason i'm asking is that it is possible that the condition is genetic and so it may be a good idea to have her checked out, watch her weight more closely and perhaps give her more chews, add the beaphar care+ pellets, increase vitamin c, add more alfalfa to her diet, just in case.

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »

ill try the stuffed toy for maisy. and no, maisy is not her actual sister, i got maisy from a reputable breeder...and pika i got from a co-worker and i believe she was a petstore chinchilla. either way pika had a wonderful life with me, and i did everything i could of. its so sad to know that she wont be greeting me when i walk into the room  ::cry222:::

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »

i know. it's horrible :( it's worse for us than it for them though. she's not suffering anymore but you are. all you can do is focus on maisy now. you can support each other :)

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »

So far maisy doesn't seem too bad, i'm the one that has been a wreck. i've been getting her out to run alot though, and bought her a bunch of new toys to keep her busy. we'll see how it goes, i've been pondering getting her another buddy. she's a very dominant chin so i dont know how she would take to the idea. Her and pika hated each other at first, but after they got used to each other they were inseperable. Wouldn't life be easier if we could just communicate with them? Haha, if only i was dr.dolittle.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »

Sorry for your loss  ::cry222:::

It would indeed be a great help if we could communicate with them.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 12:47:47 PM »

I`m so sorry ye are going through this, :'(
And your vet did not want to take your money for the xray, now that's different. ::nod:: I'm guessing he felt confident in his diagnosis, and did not see the need.
All you can do is keep up with all you've been doing. I have had them last 6 years with trims, soft feedings and other treatments, get back on feed for a few months then start all over again.
I have one now that got something stuck between his teeth and now his incisors are growing all squished. Trimming them about every 4-6 weeks. It's not easy or nice.
Keep us posted  |hugs|
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up