Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mommy Needs Advice  (Read 1135 times)

FuzzieLover87

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Mommy Needs Advice
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I am new to chinchilla and was needing some advice on a few things. 

I was wondering how much a chinchilla sleeps?  Jake has been sleeping almost all the time.  I was up until about 4:30 a.m. last night and he wasn't that active.  Does it sometimes take them a little while to get used to their environment?  We just got him on Saturday.  Also, is it okay to wake them up during the day for a little play time, or should I wait until night time, which I would still probably be waking him up then as well.

Also, what kind of treats are healthy.  I give raisins.  Not many I think he has had 2 so far total.  I was wondering if there was anything I could give on a more daily basis.  I have a young child who loves to give him snacks, but I haven't really let her because I am not sure how much he can have.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: New Mommy Needs Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »

congrats on the new chinny!

it depends. some of them sleep all the time, some of them are always awake. i've got six and two of them you won't even see most of the time, three are somewhere between and mae never sleeps!

treats - i would not give raisins if he's less than six months old. generally, raisins and other sweet treats are not the healthiest thing around. a daily treat is probably too frequent regardless of whether the treat is healthy or not. i would suggest a daily chew - little willow/vine balls, apple sticks, that sort of thing.
healthy treats - alfalfa hay, rolled oats, shredded wheat, dried rose hips. i would probably give a treat once a week. you also have to be very careful with introducing new food into a chins diet. if your child wants to give him snacks, teach her to give him his normal nuggets - for some reason, the ones handed over to them are soooo much better than the ones in the bowl!

FuzzieLover87

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

Thanks for your reply.  I had no idea I could give him shredded wheat.  He is almost 2 years old.  He was born in January of 2010.  Not sure what day but know it was January 2010.  I do have some oats that I give him every once in a while.

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »

cheerios...mine love cheerios! Congrats on the new furr ball!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

i've never given mine shredded wheat but i know people do! just keep an eye on his poo every time you introduce something new :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up