Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pregnant chin due 3 days ago still no babies  (Read 3219 times)

chincity

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
pregnant chin due 3 days ago still no babies
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »

i witnessed my chins breeding on the 28th of may i didnt find a breeding plug so wasnt sure if she was pregnant untill i could feel her elongated nipples and she has gained weight. her due date should have been this weekend but there are still no signs of labour at all. i witnessed the baby/s move in her belly on friday evening and she has stopped eating as much but no signs of anything just laying around and resting.
what are the normal signs of impending labour? if there anything i can do to make her more comfortable? :-\

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: pregnant chin due 3 days ago still no babies
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »

they can be up to 9 days late. obviously it's easier to give birth if they're not late but generally +/- 9 days is considered ok. if she's lying around and not doing much and you can see the babies move, she's probably very close. how's her water intake? from my experience, they start drinking like crazy two days before. my fluffy was a day late and it was without problems.

they usually go into labour early in the morning - i leave the house at 6am for work, she wasn't in labour then but i thought she was behaving oddly (she was hugely affectionate with me) so i stayed at home. the signs are - she will clean/check her bits a lot, fluffy was grinding teeth a lot but there were no other signs and you will probably see contractions. but generally, she should pop the first baby out within two hours of the start of the labour and if there's more than one, there shouldn't be more than 2 hours between the babies. when the babies come out, she'll clean them a little and make sure they're moving etc, it is not unusual to leave the babies uncleaned until they're all out and clean them together so don't panic if she's not cleaning them. it's very important there are no drafts or that it's not too cold. you may want to put a heat pad in but it's not essential. fluffy gave me a bit of a heart attack when she popped luella out and then left her - i had to pick her up and put her in with mum (she was one gunky baby!) but at that point i was thinking there were more on the way! so after two hours and no more babies, i rushed them to the vet. but there were no more babies. so all good :)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »

Gestation for a chinchilla is 111-120 days. 3 days late is nothing. I would not worry. And they may have mated and not concieved at that time and had another mating a little later.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

chincity

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »

i think that is the case of a later mateing because there are still no kits. very frustrating her nipples are elongated and she is spending a lot of time laying on her side. on friday we her side move which definately looked like it was a baby moving.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »

i think once you see the babies move, it's fairly close!

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »

Raisin gave birth a little before midnight on August 28, her second kit was born at 12:15 AM.  I noticed the labor by chance.  I looked over and she made a funny squeak, and pulled out the first kit.  A few weeks before, she drank more water, slept on her side, and babies kicked in her.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »

any news?
Pages: [1]   Go Up