Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from Montreal, Canada!  (Read 1069 times)

sheena.lee

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • sheena lee
Hi from Montreal, Canada!
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »

Hey everyone!
My name's Sheena, and I'm a Uni student from Montreal, Canada.  I've been considering getting a chinchilla for a little while now.  I've always been a pet owner, and had many rodents (rats, mice and hamsters mostly) when I was a teenager.  It's been a good 8-9 years since I've had any pets though, and I want to change that!

Recently I actually fostered a baby squirrel I rescued (he was 4 weeks old, and in bad shape when we found him), and the experience was just so incredibly rewarding, I can't even really explain it.  So much work, more than I ever could imagine.  We had feedings every 4 hours and he needed to be fed formula like a baby.  And it was so heartbreaking to give him to a rehabber to take care of and keep over the winter to be released next year...  But squirrels aren't pets, and don't make very good pets, so it HAD to be done.

Anyway the experience taught me that I really want something to love and care for as a pet that I won't have to give away! After a lot of research and back and forth, I finally committed to getting a chinchilla, and will probably be picking mine up on Friday :) 

But! I do have some questions about the kinds of supplies I should get before his arrival.
We bought a giant cage for the squirrel (to give him lots and lots of climbing room!) so I've got that... It has 4 levels (including the bottom), but the platforms are made of plastic.. I've heard conflicting info about it, and am willing to buy wood to replace them, but the way the cage is made there would be a little space between the planks of wood for each level...
Is that okay?
Or, if I give him lots to chew, would the plastic be a problem?

Otherwise what other things are fun? Hammocks? Exercise wheels?

Wow this has been a long post!  Thanks for reading! ;)

Sheena
I make cards! Find me on www.sheena-lee.net

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Montreal, Canada!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:37:29 AM »

First of all, Welcome to the club! I am sure you will get LOTS of great advice on this sight from true chin lovers.
Congrats on your new chin adventure you are about to embark upon. They are wonderful little friends.

2 of my cages do have the plastic shelves...one of which I have mostly replaced with wood as I was concerned about the chewing of the plastic based on issues I have heard on this sight. Fortunately, I have watched this very closely and have not had any problems with the chewing at this point but I do believe that is because I have provided them with so  many activities between loads of toys of all shapes and sizes, hammocks, tubes, igloos, tunnels and exercise wheels.

I also change around their mansions a lot to keep them guessing and interested. They are like little kids and love to be surprised and love new things! My daughter and I even have goofy songs we sing to them when we go to bed at night and get up in the morning or to just mess with them...They sort of stare at us (who knows what they are thinking ;D rofl) but they love the attention.

Again. good luck with everything..you wont regret your choice of pet friend.

PS..Good Job with the baby squirrel!

:D ::silly::   
Pages: [1]   Go Up