Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pregnant female 1st time breeder  (Read 1711 times)

chincity

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
pregnant female 1st time breeder
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »

hi all i am a first time breeder i bought a proven breeding pair of chins 6 months ago and my violet female i think is definitely pregnant, i witnessed breeding on 29th may and this then she has become lethargic and her tummy is more round and solid. i have felt her nipples and they are elongated.
i have a wire thickets cage that is customised for breeding so i can separate the male.

i would really like to know what is the best way to prepare the cage for the birth and kits?
how long approximately could she be in gestation?
i have been told to put a sheet of cardboard on the base of the cage floor to stop the kits legs from going through the wire holes,
Do i need any bedding? i have a nesting box.
when should i stop her sand baths. ;)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: pregnant female 1st time breeder
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »

her due date is the 17th of september, give or take a few days. you will notice she will drink a lot more and spend more time at the bottom of the cage a couple of days before (unless the cage she's in is a single level which is a good idea - that way she has to stay with the kits and it eliminates any accidental landing on kits when jumping off shelves)

it's a good idea to stop dust baths a week before and don't let her have one until 10 days after birth.

as for the cage, you definitely need something on top of mesh. i have fleece in mine, some people put newspaper. if you leave mesh, you'll probably end up with little broken legs. i was advised not to leave nesting box in the cage when fluffy was pregnant the second time round as there have been accidents of the box being moved and squashing the babies. you can always attach it to the side of the cage. mine spend a lot of time in the nesting box so i think they appreciate having it in.

in preparation for the kits - you may already have this - you will need a set of scales that weigh in grams, and you'll need to weigh the babies every day at the same(ish) time to make sure all is well (this is absolutely crucial). i would also get some supplies in case you need to hand feed - hopefully you won't but it's much easier to have stuff in than start sorting things out when there's an urgent need to keep babies alive. a heat pad is a good idea too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up