Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedding???  (Read 2501 times)

Jose Chinchilla

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Bedding???
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »

I read in a previous post that I could use pre-printed newspaper paper for bedding in the cage. I was wondering if there are any particulars with that. Any kind of newspaper paper as long as it hasn't been printed on? Also, how small should I tear it up? Will it hurt if they eat it?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Bedding???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »

I wouldn't use newspaper. It could easily become impacted in their intestines.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:16:59 AM »

I have used it many a times and have never had a problem.I always have a roll on hand. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Blondy40

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:27:18 PM »

In my opinion, I would not use newspaper...glad to hear there has not been a problem...but I would think that it could cause an issue as with our newspapers, the ink comes off on your hands and is quite tough to wash off. I wouldn't think that would be safe after a while. I would stick with pine or aspen bedding or carefree. Newspaper would make me nervous But I am not saying anyone is wrong here. I am so paranoid with my 5 little furry friends  so maybe it is just me.   ::shrug::   

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »

You can use the printed stuff it`s only veggie dye, but it leaves foot prints all over the wood shelves. Unprinted news print is safer than pine, if you ask a vet. ;)
Most will tell you now that pine is not safe for small animals, it can cause breathing issues that you won`t get with unprinted news print. It`s just you have to change it every day or 2.Many folks buy a shredder and shred it , that helps.I just fold it several times.
I know because I have gotten much back lash on the forums for still using pine   ::pull hair::  I`m still using it and still have not had a problem.I use the unprinted news paper when I need to watch dropping and urine out put, or when I happen to run short on shavings. :blush2:
Only sharing what I have been told over the years, and much has to be taken with a grain or more of salt.
I'm the one who harnesses their chins remember,so yes use what ever you feel comfy with. ::kiss99::  I do. ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:56:05 AM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »

pine is not safe for small animals, it can cause breathing issues

reece, one of my guinea pigs, is allergic to wood shavings. we used these when we first got him but he kept sneezing and the vet suggested it may be the bedding. he's perfectly fine with the compressed saw dust pellets though. he's old so i'm going to make a fleece bedding for him instead as he keeps lying down on the wooden pellets and bits of hay rather than into beds and hammocks and hay keeps getting in his eyes and hurting him.

Jose Chinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »

I was talking about newspaper paper, the plain newspaper paper BEFORE it gets printed on. ::think::

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »

deb, i'm just curious, do your chins turn colors too from the colored print on the papers.???
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Jose Chinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 08:49:24 PM »

Ok, so yes or not to the pre-printed newspaper? There is no ink on it, it's just the roll of plain paper, newspaper quality....... ::shrug::

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 09:27:02 AM »

Ok, so yes or not to the pre-printed newspaper? There is no ink on it, it's just the roll of plain paper, newspaper quality....... ::shrug::

i think the general consensus is that some people think it's ok and some people don't. pretty much like anything else when it comes to chins :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »

Ok, so yes or not to the pre-printed newspaper? There is no ink on it, it's just the roll of plain paper, newspaper quality.......

yes it's safe ::nod::

deb, i'm just curious, do your chins turn colors too from the colored print on the papers
Yes makes an awful mess on pine shelves  ::)

I just pick up the end rolls from the Telegram,tubes on the inside are great to, real thick.
Debbie.nl.ca

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »

i dont use newspaper for my chins but i do use it for my birds as its nice and easy to change. i found that when i tried newspaper with my chinchillas they tried to eat it so i went with aspen bedding. my first chinchilla was allergic to it so i used paper pellets instead. there are so many bedding options these days when i was a kid it was either printed newspaper or pine. so glad research was done to find out what is safe and stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up