Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad night.  (Read 1752 times)

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Bad night.
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »

So To start like all knows we inherited a pair, mom and son 3 weeks ago.  After quite some time of up and down with weight gain/loss our little buddy started to put on grams.  All had been going great the last 2 weeks, Elise was turning out to be a great mom.  Well today after work I get a call from Venessa, franticly telling me lucky was bleeding(boy kit).  So naturally I get into protective freak out mode, Venessa starts to narrow down the cause, as lucky move she catches sight of a lot more blood from the rear end.  Then she notices a protrusion.  I get about half way home when Venessa has me stop and meet her and rush Lucky to our Chin vet.  Upon being examined he has "the worst" happen, rectal prolapse.  To spare details with this being devastating, the vet pulls us aside and even though we got there very shortly after it happened, almost all of his digestive tract and stomach prolapsed.  In taking the vets recommendation and weighing all options we had to make the call for euthanasia.  As much as we love Jim, suffering was not an option.  Had it not been such a sevear case they wold have done surgery.  To say the least we are both heart broken.  Never did both Venessa and I realize how much our chins mean to us.  Truly Lucky will be missed.  Please keep Elise(mama chin) in your thoughts as this is gonna be hard for her and us.  Not the news I wanted to share.  Give each of your chins an extra scratch and love, this showed us how fragile life can be.  Love your animals and others, life is to short for some. R.I.P Lucky, you are missed and loved.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:23:14 PM by Jhenderson27 »

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Bad night.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:27:40 AM »

I know what you mean, We felt devastated when Chewy died. The other dogs are still getting over it. The pain does go away after some time. But remember the fun you had with him. You know you have done anything to save him. Our prayers go out to you, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:38:51 AM »

Sorry for your new, we had a baby we had to put down after 3 days because she had no anal opening.  So hard, but for all the best thing to do for no suffering.  Our thoughts are with you and momma!
Brandy

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »

Momma is taking it real hard, Shes feverishly running about the cage looking for him.  We took and put her into a different cage with another chins bedding to help mask the smell of the baby in her room.  We also rotated all new things in and its helped just not fully.  Its tough, had there been any shot, money woulndt have been the question, just there was no shot according to the Dr.  Things happen for a reason, thanks for the kind words.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »

I'm so sorry for your loss, the poor little darling. :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:57:48 AM »

We just coulndt let Lucky suffer, the Vet had the final say, if she could save him, she had the opportunity, however she said the stomach had started to die off near immeadiate.  So she made the call and we stand behind her. 

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »

i am so very sorry :(

i feel awful for the mum, when chinchi died, i'm pretty sure if fluffy didn't have the babies, that would have been the end of her, she loved him so much. could you put a stuffed toy with her? it must be so hard. poor little girl :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up