Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: IRIS AND SAGE HAD FIRST LITTER OF BABIES!  (Read 9654 times)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: IRIS AND SAGE HAD FIRST LITTER OF BABIES!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »

Awww congrats , they are gorgeous. ::nod::

I ween at 8 weeks. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »

i think my other scale was off it wasnt digital i got a new scale on day 3 and on day three boy was 51 grams,big girl was 55 grams small girl 50 grams,day 4-boy 52 grams,big girl 57 grams small girl 54 grams,day 5-boy 55 grams,big girl 61 grams,small girl 55 grams. day 6-boy 56 grams big girl 64 grams,small girl 60 grams. so in 3 days boy gained 6 grams,big female gained 9 grams and little girl gained 10 grams. they are all active and so funny. they are starting to play with toys and want to chew on stuff. first up is a video i took today i thought it was adorable.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:25 AM »

awww they are absolutely gorgeous! and like to climb! :D scales can be funny. when my babies appeared, i used my digital kitchen scale which was rubbish, thankfully, my brother in law work for a scales company and provided me with a large postal scale so we are pretty accurate now! as long as they're all feeding, putting on weight, moving around, interested in everything and their tails curling up, it's all good :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 06:48:40 AM »

Awww congrats they are beauties!!!!

My kits stay with mom for 8 weeks, 4 weeks is way too soon.
Debbie.nl.ca

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 10:26:27 PM »

my babies are so funny.. they were nibbling on hay and they sit in mamas food dish and nibble on pellets and the fruits and veggies. they are weighing in now at 64 grams boy,71 grams smaller female and 76 grams big female they are 10 days old today. when is it ok to let mama have a dust bath again? i forgot

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »

she - and the babies - can have a dust bath 10 days after birth. the babies won't probably do much to start with but she'll be teaching them!

i would recommend you don't let the babies eat fresh food, they're ok to nibble on nuggets and hay though!

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:23:51 AM »

thanks for the tips.. i should have stated that the fruits and veggies are dried. i gave some to mom on top of her pellets and i didnt know that the babies would be munching on the food already. is dried stuff ok? i dehydrate the stuff here at home and i give it to my chins and my birds to. the babies weigh in at -boy 71 grams,big female 80 grams and isis(i am keeping the middle baby) 76 grams.this is the 12 day old weights. i weigh them once a day i have been weighing them at night about 10 its when they are the most active and after i weigh them i play with them for about 10 minutes. i am also very attached to the little boy but i know i can old keep one and i had decided i wanted to keep isis from the day they were born. i will be updating with photos real soon i promise.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »

haha, i know, they are little monkeys, aren't they? they start picking up proper food when they're only a few days old, it's amazing! i probably wouldn't give them any dried stuff either, until they're about 6 months? having said that, my lot did get fresh leaves (i used to feed a small amount of fresh leaves to my chins as that was recommended by a vet when i got my first boy) and were perfectly fine. i did stop feeding everybody fresh leaves when mae nearly died of stasis - it had nothing to do with fresh veg, she's a rescue and i didn't want to change too many things in her diet at once so she didn't get as far as leaves but her being so sick really scared me and given that fresh leaves can contribute to gut problems, i thought it wasn't worth the risk.

general advise for kits is do not give any treats etc until they're 6 months old. i think dried veg is a 'treat' type of food.

it must be horrible. i'm lucky i got to keep all mine but i know i would it incredibly hard to give them away. 

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

i cant believe how fast they grow! i have another question..how will you know if they are fully weaned from their mother? is there a set wean time or is it different for each baby? here are some pictures of them from yesterday..
  isis grabed my spoon i was using to eat my soup little stinker
we call him squirt
we call her apple dumpling(she is already spoken for has been since she was 2 days old)

isis at a week old
apple dumpling at a week old

camera shows they have red eyes but isis's are actually really black

i will try and get more pictures this week they will be 2 weeks old tomorrow

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »

Between 6-8 weeks they will start to be living a normal "chin" life.  They will still be in with mum but should be eating pellets and hay.  The best thing is with boys after 8-10 weeks when you remove them give them 1 week with normal food and watch their intake and weights and monitor.  Once everything is good then they can go home to their new home.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »

awwww they are sooooooo precious looking <3

the beiges will have red eyes. there are loads of different shades and some look dark. when i brought mae home i couldn't decide what colour she was because she looked like a beige, had all the freckles a beige should have but her eyes looked black! you can see they're red under certain light though :)

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 02:23:12 AM »

ok sorry i havent updated lately.. sagris(little boy) is 105 grams today,isis(was the smallest baby) is 126 grams,and apple dumpling(was always the biggest and is the dark beige) is 115 grams. they will be 4 weeks on tuesday. its so hard to believe they are so big and grown up. they dont hang out with mom much anymore only 2 times a day to nurse and isis is a pushy little girl she will fight mom for the last piece of hay or fight about who goes in the bath house first silly baby. i still havent decided if i am keeping isis or sagris. isis has stayed a silvery beige color has always been much lighter then apple dumpling. i will have to get new photos if i can get them to hold still long enough. oh and just a few hrs ago my rescue rabbit had a surprise litter of bunnies. she had 2 large and one tiny. the large one died right after birth. mom is a black holland lop and dad?. i have talked to my mother in law as she had said she wanted a bunny so she may take one of the babies IF they survive... i dont know if mom will take care of them i will be checking on them several times a day and will step in and hand raise them if i have to as i have had to do that before with rabbits i had when i was a kid. friday night i tried to introduce dad and the babies.. he was fine with sagris but he tried to mount the girls. mom was out and about at the same time she just went about her business and acted like she didnt know the male. i plan to keep trying to get mom and dad reintroduced and see how it goes if dad will accept the little boy as well. you have all been so great at helping me with my million and one questions. i am sure i will have more in the coming weeks

To_luv_a_chin16

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »

Hope buns survve, hopefully the littlist isnt the result of a dwarfing gene. good luck with them

and your baby chins are soo adorable, mom must be exhausted!! love the pics and video

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 01:49:04 AM »

well news on baby chins.. they will be 5 weeks old tomorrow its hard to believe.. they were weighed friday night.. isis 151grams,apple dumpling 142 grams,sagris 118grams. they are growing and it will be sad when they go. oh and for the baby bunnies.. we lost the small one the mom laid on it and by the time i realized what she had done it was to late. the one remaining baby was weighed last night and weighed 96 grams. the way that baby is growing it will be heavier then my chinchillas in no time. i am also sad to say i cant post pictures until i can re upload every single one again. i got a virus on my computer and had to restore it and i guess i didnt back it up right so i have to start over.. this weekend was terrible. hope everybody had a good easter and a good weekend. i will try and get some pictures on here again in the next day or so.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up