Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IRIS AND SAGE HAD FIRST LITTER OF BABIES!  (Read 9775 times)

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
IRIS AND SAGE HAD FIRST LITTER OF BABIES!
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »

proud to annouce i have triplets from sage(standard) and iris(beige). they had one grey male and one darker beige and one lighter beige. both beige are female. they were born yesterday between 1:00pm and 2:15pm. this is the first for them and first time i have had baby chins.

-female one

-boy
-sisters

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: IRIS AND SAGE HAD FIRST LITTER OF BABIES!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:08:10 PM »

so cute.

i especially love the one with the kid crawling over momas head...lol
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:48:51 AM »

AWWWWWWW  ::silly:: They are beautiful! So sweet!! CONGRATULATIONS to the new Mommy and Daddy! ::)

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:07 AM »

i noticed one of the beige is lighter then the other will that change as she ages?

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »

awww they are gorgeous!

as for colour, i found with my beiges that their colouring was changing over the weeks/months (pippi was really ginger at one point but not anymore), so they may end up looking different to what they look now but you may find that one will always be a little lighter. luella is from my second litter and she is lighter than her older brothers and sister - i think she looked pretty much the same when she was born but she's 8 months now and is definitely lighter.

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

mommy is 13 months old.. she weighs 840 grams(after birthing). standard grey male is about 45grams(not even 48 hrs old),dark beige is about 65 grams and the little light one is about 38-40 grams. even though she is the smallest she is the most active one i cant get her to hold still to weigh her so that is the closest i can get. bellies look full when i had them out earlier i waited to weigh them before they ate again(which they are nursing now). i am going to weigh them again after a while and see how its going. i didnt realize i was to weigh them when they were born so i have nothing to compare weight to be from now on i will know better. this forum rocks thanks everybody for your help. i will keep updating pics as they grow.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »

don't worry about not having weighed them straight away. they're active (they certainly look active on the pictures!) and the weights are good for how young they are. 65g!!! chunky chunkster! you could stick the smallest one in a box to weigh her if she moves around too much (i had the same problem and it gets worse as they get older!!)

now you've started weighing them, it's a good idea to weigh them daily at the same time for a while (i'm paranoid so mine were being weighed every day for months but i think normally daily for a few weeks and then a couple times a week is sufficient) - fluffy had mastitis when she had the triplets and couldn't nurse so weighing them was crucial as we took them all to the vet because they were losing weight. everything else looked normal then, later on she started running away from them as well because they were cutting her but we were hand feeding by then already. the smallest one was very hard to keep alive so i'm guessing that if we weren't weighing them, by the time there were other signs, it would have been too late. they're all fine :)

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »

what color belly should the beige have? i know mom is beige(or at least thats what i was told lol) but any help here would be awesome. is there a weight they should be at this age and what is a good weight for mom? oh and how do u give somebody appreciation points?

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »

tummy should be white and mum is beige :) she's very pretty as well! the weight depends on what her normal weight is but you should expect her to lose a bit of weight while nursing. she will probably end up a bit heavier than before pregnancy. unless there's a rapid weight loss, there shouldn't be a problem.

there isn't really a weight the babies should be (they're all born at different weights) but they should be steadily putting on a couple of grams a day (some put more on but you usually see that with singles). with triplets, you need to make sure they all are putting weight on (not necessarily at the same rate but all should show a steady gain), sometimes one gets pushed out and doesn't get enough food.

just a thought - the dad's not with mum, is he?

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »

nope as soon as i found babies mom and babies were moved so they were with him for a short time. she had them in an empty dust house so he never touched mom or him.

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »

good :) when we found the babies, mum was already pregnant again!

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »

i know in my reading it says baby chins are weaned at 4 weeks.. how long after do they need to be with mom?

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »

i think 4 weeks is way too early, i think they're weaned at 6 weeks. they start eating solid food when they're a few days old but they need to stay with mum until they are 8-10 weeks. the girls can stay as long as they like, boys are usually separated when they're 8 weeks, mine stayed with mum until they were 10.5 weeks old but this was because of the initial trouble and especially ffynn not putting on weight at first. apparently, boys can impregnate girls at 12 weeks, the horny devils!

hexi99

• CHIN LOVER FOREVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »

thanks very much..i love my chinchillas a lot and i want to learn everything i can from people with experience rather then just from books.. i hope you all dont mind me asking questions. well i have been weighing the babies and that little runt that a couple days ago as at 38-40 grams is now 54 grams. she puts on a lot of weight these days. the bigger baby lost a little bit and is at 57 grams.. i think perhaps my old scale was off on her first weight after all as she was moving alot and seemed lighter then she is now. the little boy at day 2 was 45 grams at day 4 is 52 grams. mom is a great mommy and i am so very proud of her.
ok so the standard grey has a white tummy as does daddy. mommy has white belly but the 2 baby girls are different so no sure that they are beige. big female has a lighter tummy then her back color but its not white. the other baby is more of a silvery brown and the belly is for sure not white. i tried to get pics of their little bellys but no luck so far. i will try and post updated photos real soon... thanks again this place is amazing

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »

i'd say the little girls are definitely beige. some chins can have slightly 'dirty' (coloured) stomach, even some greys can have a bit of a light grey tum. from the pictures it would seem that the girls have red eyes, is that right? also, you're breeding a standard with a beige - i believe this can only produce standards or beiges. their colour will also change over the weeks. and if you get anybody who doesn't know about chins to look at a beige and tell you what colour they are, they'll say grey :)

great weights for the smaller babies. i'm just wondering about the larger baby. she should not be losing weight. did she lose at the start and now she's putting on or is she losing and not putting on?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up