Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK HELP!?!?!?  (Read 1283 times)

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
OK HELP!?!?!?
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »

I already posted this under another, calmer heading. But I am really worried about Cerberus! Little Sir is now about 9 months old, and very fat and sassy. He is sweet and hand tame, loving and healthy. We were very happy when we found a 2' x 3' x 4' cage for him today (brand new, still in the box). We assembled it, installed safe wood shelves, baskets for chewing - etc, and thought we were fine.
 Tonight, at play time, I saw a spot of blood on his right hind foot. Not dripping, no obvious wound. Just a bright red spot, between his center toe and farther right toe, towards the top of his foot. I looked very carefully, saw no wound, just this red. He doesn't favor it at all, leaps and climbs and plays just fine.
He was in his dust bath about three rolls when I saw the red, and took him out.
Any advice? He isn't chewing it, he seems oblivious to it completely. He is asleep now, on his ledge. I am afraid by not doing anything, I am screwing up somehow. Should I have washed his wound? Will the dust cause an infection? What should I do? This is our first chinny injury, and we are very very worried (read freaking out). Please share any advice, we could use it!  ::scaredspeachless::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: OK HELP!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »

No different that any wound you would get, ;) You judge the severity and treat each degree.
First thing is what caused it?
is it flaky skin, a soar or an irritation from something.
If it just a red spot, not much you can do only maybe clean it with a little saline and tab of 'sporine if your worried. Most little nicks and scrapes heal just fine on there own.
If it looks like fungus add a shake of athletes foot powder to his dust bath.
Don't worry they are going to get little booboos. |hugs|
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up