Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our turn to be concerned  (Read 3225 times)

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Our turn to be concerned
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »

Little Sir is now about 9 months old, and very fat and sassy. He is sweet and hand tame, loving and healthy. We were very happy when we found a 2' x 3' x 4' cage for him today (brand new, still in the box). We assembled it, installed safe wood shelves, baskets for chewing - etc, and thought we were fine. Tonight, at play time, I saw a spot of blood on his right hind foot. Not dripping, no obvious wound. Just a bright red spot, between his center toe and farther right toe, towards the top of his foot. I looked very carefully, saw no wound, just this red. He doesn't favor it at all, leaps and climbs and plays just fine.
He was in his dust bath about three rolls when I saw the red, and took him out.
Any advice? He isn't chewing it, he seems oblivious to it completely. This is our first chinny injury, and we are very very worried (read freaking out). Please share any advice, we could use it!  :(

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
Re: Our turn to be concerned
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »

Little Sir seems fine this morning. The red is mostly gone, and he is his loving, sweet self - begging for skritches and to be held.  :blush2: We are still going to watch this area very closely, for chewing or swelling. Anything else I can/should do?

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know ::think::

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »

Are you sure it was blood? Do you know if you did anything different before it came or last night before it practically left? I'm not sure, as this has never happened to my chinchilla, but maybe it could be a blister or something? Sometimes if their cage is dirty they can be stepping on their own poops which is, well, not good. Anyways, it's great it's going away!  :::grins:: I hope it stays that way! If it comes back, maybe there's something, a bug or such, that's been biting him? Well, I'll bet it'll go away, but you should try and think if anything was different so you can try and make sure it won't come back! If it does and you can't see anything wrong, I would go to a vet.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »

do you have an emgency kit?  i would suggest, to everyone, if you don't to start on up.  one item that you should have in it is Blu-Kote.  get the liquid, not the spray.. its made i think for horsed but totally safe for chins.  its good to use so infections dont' start in.  [short version].  for little wounds like that, thats what i do, if its ever a big wound, vet visit.  its purple and it stains, so do not have good clothing on when you use it, the coloring will eventually ware off the chin [mosaics are pretty when they have purple on them..lol]

anyways, he could of just scatched it on something..  i found a tiny spec of blood on noels foot once before when she was out for playtime, and i got nervous, and checked her foot out, but also couldnt see where it was coming from.. so i just think she scratched it on something. even thoo i couldn't find where it was coming from, i put some blu-kote on to be safe, and no problems.  i'm not saying it will always prevent, you never know what can happen, and that goes with anything, i'm just saying its a great product to use for tiny cuts..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »

do you have an emgency kit?  i would suggest, to everyone, if you don't to start on up.  one item that you should have in it is Blu-Kote.  get the liquid, not the spray.. its made i think for horsed but totally safe for chins.  its good to use so infections dont' start in.  [short version].  for little wounds like that, thats what i do, if its ever a big wound, vet visit.  its purple and it stains, so do not have good clothing on when you use it, the coloring will eventually ware off the chin [mosaics are pretty when they have purple on them..lol]

anyways, he could of just scatched it on something..  i found a tiny spec of blood on noels foot once before when she was out for playtime, and i got nervous, and checked her foot out, but also couldnt see where it was coming from.. so i just think she scratched it on something. even thoo i couldn't find where it was coming from, i put some blu-kote on to be safe, and no problems.  i'm not saying it will always prevent, you never know what can happen, and that goes with anything, i'm just saying its a great product to use for tiny cuts..
Am going out to look for Blu-Kote today. Please clue me in on what else to have in an emergency kit? Thank you so much!

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »

I have Blu-kote also, it does make the American Eskimos very pretty. I have also spilled it on our carpet, thank God that it was a bad carpet anyway. But be very carfull with it. Good luck with your chinchilla.
Quyana Shannon Seager

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »

Thanks Kneesa. We got back from our expedition to find Blu-Kote (difficult in the city,lol) and were very glad I had written where the injury was. It seems to have completely disappeared, no sign whatsoever!  :o I am beginning to wonder if a stick from his chewing basket poked him, or something. ::shrug:: We have kept willow baskets (and sticks) for chewing in both of their hutches, for their teeth.
Little Sir seems just fine, no signs of chewing his foot, or swelling, or discoloration. I am not sure what else to watch for.
Thanks again to everyone helping me cope with this. Isn't it ironic? After years and years if being an OR nurse, a tiny scratch on our Baby Chinny scares me to pieces  :2funny:
Guess we all have to go through it for ourselves.... ::)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »

it could have even been a piece of hay? i had a bit of hay stab my foot once and i bled! i would imagine skin on my feet is somewhat rougher than chin feet. then you probably wouldn't see the wound either if it's just a tiny prick?

glad he's doing better :)

chinchi once had a bruised nose, no blood but it was red and scraped. i thought he had nose dived. i'm now pretty sure it was a result of mating!

i'll have to see if i can get blu-kote over here

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »

some day i will add that to my site..

anyways, emergency kit:

Pedialyte - Excellent for dehydration and helps to replace electrolytes.
Oxbow Critical Care - for when your chins gets sick and wont' eat.  vets won't just sell this so you can keep it on hand, you will have to find it on an online website, i have it..lol
Simethicone Infant Drops - This is a must have if you live with a chinchilla. It is used for bloat/gas.
Neosporin (NOT Neosporin Pain) - also for minor cuts and abrasions.
Vaseline or KY Jelly - for hair ring removal
Acidophilus Tablets (non-dairy) - to balance the bacteria in the stomach when a chin is using antibiotics to prevent intestinal upset and possible diarrhea or constipation.  i get capsules and open them up.
Cornstarch - a painless way to stop bleeding of minor cuts [this works for any animals..ie if your dog bleeds when you clip their nails and you don't have quick stop]
Bene Bac - A probiotic which also helps balance the bacteria in the stomach. Not all chins will like the flavor of this.
Nutri-Cal - A high calorie supplement which can be given to help stimulate the appetite if a chin stops eating.
q-tips -  to be honest, i'm not sure what people use these for but everyone always says to have them, probably to put on ointments..
Unscented baby wipes   clean up when medicine or hand feeding get on a chin's fur or when their feet are dirty due to stepping on soft poops from diarrhea.
latex/rubber disposable gloves - i use gloves alot, not just for packing my orders, but sometimes cleaning the cages or what not.  i don't get expensive ones, you can always find them on sale someplace.
Syringes (1, 3, 5 & 10 cc) - or hand feeding, giving fluids, medicine and flushing wounds.  the different sizes are great for different types of uses.
Tums original (fruit flavor)/cuttle bone,  Calf Manna - give as an added calcium boost to chins with white teeth.  use 1/4 of a tablet a day [tums], no more.  and not for long, if it doesn't work, ask for advice or seek vet. these are safe, but don't get anything with anything extra added in.  cuttle bone, just a small piece, and calf manna, only a few a day.
Gram digital scale - to keep track of your chins' weights. learn from my mistakes, when one of my chins was sick and we went to the vet they wanted to know if she lost weight, i had no clue, and there is no way you can tell by picking them up.  you need a scale, it is advice to keep a journal and weigh them once a month.  ever since that happened with me , this is what i do.  you can find cheap ones.  for me i find the bowl types ones are easy to use, i just put the chin in and cup my hands around them without touching them adding weight on, and this keeps them from jumping out.  also your chins weight will fluxuate about [if i remember correctly] about 30 grams, somewhere around there, that is normal, so dont' worry if you notice a differece of that amount, i do all the time. its when they loss alot you really need to worry.
Tinactin, Desenex Foot Powder - used in dust-baths as preventative treatment for ringworm and also to help in curing ringworms
Kaolin Pectin – psyllium products are good for mild diarrhea, but best to find out what is causing diarrhea, best to ask vet the amount to be given -  Kaopectate & Pepto Bismol that contains salicylates should NOT be given to chinchillas  
charcoal - also treats mild diarrhea, but again, if its bad or smells, go to a vet.  you can get this at drugstores/walmarts. they come in capsules and again, i open them up and put it on a tiny shredded wheat.  they seem to like it.  always eaten. however, if you do have to use something for diarreah, and it doesn't go away shortly call your vet. its not good to keep them on these items for long.  
dyne - its from chocolatechinchillas.com.. dawna is great and very knowledgeable  - high calorie liquid diet giving maximum nutrietive value in a minimum of liquid volume, used to treat ill, injured, growing, pregnant, lactating, nursing, &/or invalid animals.  she also has many other great items.
Towels - wrapping up a chin to administer meds [some chins need to be burritoed when giving meds, makes it much easier when a chin will not hold still] you wont' want to use your good towels, lots of stains occur, even cc.
Fruit vinegar - stimulates appetite in sick chins

and some people might add more items.  but i think these are the most important.

and i dont' want to make you worry, don't go crazy thinking you have to rush out and get all this at once, you'll go broke, i just started mine and added to it slowly.

any questions pls ask
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:57:43 PM by jmdebb »
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »

dyne - its from chocolatechinchillas.com.. dawna is great and very knowledgeable  - high calorie liquid diet giving maximum nutrietive value in a minimum of liquid volume, used to treat ill, injured, growing, pregnant, lactating, nursing, &/or invalid animals.  she also has many other great items.

thanks for the great list jean!

dawnna also sells a product called lifeline and i would recommend people keep it in. it's a mixed powder that contains probiotics and i found it to be excellent to keep the gut in great condition when used with antibiotics. my boys were on a double dose of baytril and a dose of septrin for weeks and their poo had not changed at all! i think it must taste nice because i just sprinkle it onto pellets and they gobble down the ones with lifeline first so i find it easier to get into them than probiotic from the vet. you can also syringe it.

another thing that may be handy to have - karvol capsules - these are decongestant oil capsules for babies, you cut the capsule and put oil on a tissue, i used one or two drops for mae and put it on top of the cage just above where she usually sits, it helped a great deal with her respiratory infection. i guess you can always just go and buy it rather than keep it in though! 

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »

Bless all of you for being so helpful. I have everyone in our family chasing down something from this list  :::grins:: We should have a complete medic bag by the weekend.  It had never occurred to me that I could assemble such a thing for our Chinnys.
Thanks again ::nod::

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. ???

1newChinmom1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »

Well, we got the 1st aid kit together, and all seems to be well, for now anyways. ::) The toe that had the spot of blood actually is gone, but the stump healed nicely. Still don't know what happened, but he is not chewing, or swollen, or discolored on it or around it, so I guess we are ok.  It looks like it is completely healed. He gets around just fine, doesn't favor it, or move any differently from the loss. Guess we will never know what happened to Little Sir's toe. ::shrug::
Thanks again to all of you. I am trying to be calmer about all of this. Yet it really feels like having a new babe in the house. All grins and tears! ;)

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. ???
Pages: [1]   Go Up