Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dehydration related question. PLUS A NEW TWIST! READ PAGE 2  (Read 5179 times)

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Re: Dehydration related question.
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »

Well just checking in.  Been a hell of a weekend.  I will post tomorrow.  To shandy, she is doing better.  Up to 252g, now its just slow paced as she has gotten her water back.  She's eating and bouncing around and stuff.  Still not herself.  Don't worry bottlegate has been resolved.  The vet still is having the parents administer fluids through syringe in the form of goats milk and baby. Sweet carrot or applesauce.  Not much anymore though.  She's still reserved but leans and bounds better.  She's on a. 1ml per day of baytril.  Seems to be binding her up a.tad.  but safe than sorry.  Moving on, we were to say dropped into an odd situation.  A local animal shop, not pet store had a baby situation.  By situation 2 boy chinchillas aren't both boys.  So we inherited a 1year old pink white and her 24 hour old kit.  His sibling was a still born.  This is the first litter and the boy came in at 45g this morning and 46g tonight.  However I need advise on this.  The parents were a pink white and a white ebony.  I know about the lethal gene.  Now with this young boy, is there going to be health problems in the long run or are we out of the woods with him.  He's doing well as is mom.  The wanted someone who knew more about chins than them to take over, so we stepped in after a early 9 am call.  We will have them going forth.  Thkere is a distinct possibility of a back breed so thy have given us mom and baby to keep and raise.  All advise is welcomed.  Have a good night.  And to think there were going to be no more kits here.  O and both parents were purshased from a ranch breeder in southern ny or northern pa.  Well bed time for me.  : )

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Re: Dehydration related question.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »

And to the owners defense the super pet glass waterbottle was a bum.  Still no excuse but I ddid see it for myself.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Dehydration related question. PLUS A NEW TWIST! READ PAGE 2
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »

oh wow. glad shandy's getting better. and wow on the inheritance! i know absolutely nothing about genetics so can't help but i'm sure there's plenty of people that can.

you'll hate me for this but... we want pictures :)

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »

I have had this same trouble with a superpet water bottle, I also assumed it would work as I have 4 others of them.  The next day I realized the water level was not down, with three in the cage I have to fill every other day, my pink white must have drank for 10 minutes it seemed and that was only going without for like one day.  Poor baby after so long!!  Well keep our fingers crossed here as well.
Brandy

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »

There is a huge misconception about the lethal factor. It isn't a leathal gene no animal does on account of it, it just means that there will be fewer kits produced, the egg and sperm are not compatable so nothing develops essentially. The biggest reason to not breed white to white is you will get crappy weak furred offspring. It is a waste of breeding. (no offense to what I am sure is an adorable kit)
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jhenderson27

• Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »

I did NOT breed them.  I took over raising them.  I would rather do that than let them go somewhere less loving.  I have since read up on the gene situation before your post.  I do thank you for the answer, I however never looked up.the full meaning previously due to not owning 2 whites in breeding.  That is why I asked.  The baby is great, he's up.to 47g and spunky.  On another side note Shandy is holding tough and doing well.  Thanks for everyones well wishes.    Well bed time, nite all.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »

47g!!!! yay! glad shandy's doing better :)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »

I know you didn't breed them I just wanted you to know I wasn't trying to insult the baby or anything
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up