Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel & run around ball help.  (Read 3687 times)

penelope88

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Wheel & run around ball help.
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »

I've bought Penelope 4 different wheels (and the last one my fiance even rigged an extra support between the back and the cage) and she breaks every single one. I don't know if they're just cheap plastic, or if it's because she runs so hard .. or maybe she's just fat  :::grins::  but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good wheel?
& Does anyone use the run around balls, like for hamsters? Are they safe for short periods of time and do they like them? One website said they'd suffocate and break their spine so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them.
Thanks for any help!   :)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Wheel & run around ball help.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:04:50 PM »

I have had chins that liked the ball but found a room to run in much better. Their droppings end up rolling around with them, and some will pee in the balls.Yes they can get over heated in them and should never be left unattended in them.
The best wheels seem to be the Leo Braum type, I have never used them, and have heard horror stories about injuries.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »

I have a couple wheels in my chins cages, they dint really use them all that much, mostly just for sleeping in them and what not.  We used to use the exercise balls.  You have to make sure to watch them closely, the lids pop off and away goes the chin on an adventure.  I used to give mine 10 min of ball time each, we had 2 of them and let them go.  Now we just let them run in the room and have a good time, either work, you just have to be diligent and watch out and keep them safe.  Sadly mine also slept in the ball, lazy chinchillas.....So like me : )

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »

We've had good luck with the flying saucers type...The ball...definitely set a timer so time doesn't get away from you when using one of those...and yes sometimes they pee in them. I too find letting them have a room to roam much safer so they don't over heat. We leave the lid off and they'll crawl in to investigate...inside the room. And give them things to play in or around.

http://www.chin-chillas.com/ 
~Darlene

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »

actually, plastic wheels are very unsafe for them, if they chew they can become impacted and die, also those run around balls, please stay away from them. not that every chin has to die from heat stroke using them, but they can, think of it this way, you have on a fur coat, and you are told to go running, you get very very hot, but you don't sweat.. whats gonna happen to you.. thats what happens to alot of chinchillas that use those.  i wish they would put on then unsafe for chinchillas.

also, for wheels the leo one that someone mentioned is good if you can find one used, quality cage has good wheels, i have one on my sight, also there are the saucers and ed spins.. all great wheels. worth every penny.

good luck.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:26:32 PM »

I use a flying saucer and my two chis like it. I can try to find the website. Its not the cheap plastic one at a pet store.

I also use a ball. There poop does come out though and you have to keep an eye on them. Also I have to put tape over the lid because I'v had it come off while one of my guys was in it. I'm not sure if I didn't put it on tight enough or what not. I don't have a room for them to run around in. Just a play pen and a fence. I like the ball every once in awhile bc it is a save way for them to be out.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »

Cheap plastic wheels are a danger (chewing and impaction) and a waste of money. I believe you can still buy the flying saucer wheel (the metal one) at chinchillas.com  Run about balls are also a danger, they are at risk for over heating and they are extreamly unsanitary. The chinchillas run around in their own poop and urine and it gets all over their fur... not to mention they are not secure and often chinchillas can escape from them.   You are much better off chinnie  proofing a bathroom for playtime.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

penelope88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »

Thanks for all the help everyone! =] This site has been a lifesaver, it's great being able to talk to so many experienced chin owners!!
I bought her the flying saucer and she just sits on it and stares at me. She refuses to run on it, lol. So I'll keep looking for a good wheel.
So glad I didn't buy a ball, I hadn't realized how many ways they could get hurt in them.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

Give her some time to get used to it.

shooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »

It took my chin a short while to figure out the metal saucer, but boy does he got the hang of it now  rofl
He flies on his saucer, its fun to watch!

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 05:41:27 AM »

it takes some longer than others. the funniest thing i've seen was when the babies were old enough to run on the wheel and all three were running on it at the same time! every so often, one decided to run in the other direction and that confused the lot of them!
Pages: [1]   Go Up