News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yogurt  (Read 7529 times)

Whitetiger

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Yogurt
« on: August 31, 2006, 05:25:47 AM »

::shrug:: Hey Joann you probably don't remember me but maybe you can help me clarify something you have told me before.  I give my chin Dayzee yogurt mainly when she is preg but also every couple months as a surprise treat.  You told me that was ok but to watch for the Vitamin D contant.  How much Vitamin D in bad?  I have recently (yesterday) purchased the Yogurt yopl smoothie strawberry bannana but as I gave her some of course she loved it and fought me to take the lid back but I noticed it had 20% Vitamin D.  She absolutely loved this new type(either that or she just really liked her surprise treat) but I don't want to give it to her if it has to much oh a bad thing. ::shrug::  Thanks in advanced for any and all help.    ::chinhappy:: Dayzee says thanks also
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:18:32 AM by Whitetiger »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 08:42:54 AM »

::silly::Hi White Tiger,
    I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage ... PM me your name, please, so I can check it out.  (I usually get 25 to 50 e-mails a day) I don't remember discussing Vitamin D, in reference to a chinchilla, even though I could have.  I know I have read that the vitamin D for humans will build up in the system and become toxic.  I would assume, it would be the same for chinchillas.

I usually suggest Dannon, live culture, individual serving size, strawberry, banana and/or blueberry, because these are ones I know my chins love.  I don't like to get any thing that is 'fortified with' or "added", they have a tendency to throw things off balance.  You don't want any thing with allot of added sugar or salt either.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »

Out of curiosity...how do you introduce yogurt to a chinchilla, anyways?  I once put some on a spoon and let my chinchilla sniff it and he had no interest....mind you, it was plain yogurt and I can't imagine it smelled very appetizing.  Do you just put it on a spoon and let them lick it?

Whitetiger

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:15:03 PM »

The type I got is light with low everything (sugar, fat, calories).  Dayzee just likes to drink from the container she also likes the Fresh fruit ice pops (straw).  Dayzee loves extras so I have a variety to chose from but most are things I have found she likes more then regular store brought treats.  Squeaker on the other hand will not eat yogurt but does like fresh strawberries and bananas.   ::chinhappy:: ::chinhappy::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:31:48 AM »

::silly::Hi Leslie & White Tiger,

Out of curiosity...how do you introduce yogurt to a chinchilla, anyways?  I once put some on a spoon and let my chinchilla sniff it and he had no interest....mind you, it was plain yogurt and I can't imagine it smelled very appetizing.  Do you just put it on a spoon and let them lick it?
To me, yogurt has always been one of those that need an 'acquired' taste ... Chinchillas usually have one of three reactions to yogurt:
(1) They love it and cry for more.  I have one in particular that will lick the spoon clean and then stand and litterally cry for more.
(2) It takes some re-tries, but they eventually like it, or at least tolerate it. (blueberry, strawberry and banana seems to be the preferred among chinchillas) or
(3) They hate it. If they hate it, they will stand on their hind legs and go around in circles while trying to wipe any trace of what is left on their lips off ... With this reaction ... they will never take yogurt.
   To get them to try it, I usually put a little on 1/2 of a Popsicle stick and give it to them.  They think the Popsicle stick is a treat/reward.  If they lick it off ... that is a way to get them to 'acquire' the taste for it.
    For those who love it ... only a spoon will do!  rofl  One of my little ones will grab the spoon at the base of the handle and refuse to turn it loose until the spoon is clean!   :D

Go easy on the fresh strawberries and bananas ... only in very small amounts, or you could end-up with a chin with diarrhea.

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 07:35:29 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Misskitz

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:09 AM »

I once froze a little for my self (it was a hot day  ::silly:: )   and Daisy loved it!
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

chinchillaboy4

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • My myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »

Frozen yogurt sounds soo good ::silly:: I tried to give Dusty just a nibble once but he didnt seem to care for it.

Misskitz

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »

it's Delicious!  I always eat it!    :::grins::
"don't let nobody tell your life is over......be every color that you are!"

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 04:30:22 PM »

Maggie LOVES yogart. Generally we only give her the  plain organic kind, I've been too worried to give her anything with fruit in it.

We feed it to her with the syringes the vet gave us, the kind without the needle, it's easy to measure out that way too. She will try to wrestle it away from us and licks every little bit off.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »

I once froze a little for my self (it was a hot day   )   and Daisy loved it!
I was once told freezing yogurt kills the live culture, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of giving it to chins?
It just came up as I have migraines, and just had a bad one. I asked the Dr. if frozen yogurt would trigger them as reg. yogurt can in me. He said no, nothing can grow if it's froze.
You know Jo Ann? Just curious.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:42:40 AM »

::silly::Don't know for sure, I would think it would kill the bacteria, BUT, some things have been known to come back to life after being frozen, haven't they?  Personally, I would not freeze the yogurt if I was using it to replace the good bacteria in a chin's system, just to be on the safe side.  That would be a good question to research.  You want to check it out and see what you can come up with?

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

:::grins:: A few of mine aren't sure about it and the others love it. ::silly::

Pookahsmom

• Pookahsmom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 05:31:58 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm yogurt for chins.....will have to try that!  Have tried the pet store yogurt treats and most of ours look at it and snub their noses!

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 08:00:44 AM »

My chins love it, particularly strawberry.  But I had several who would not have anything to do with it when I offered it on a spoon (I think they found it too messy), so I offered it in a 1cc feeding syringe and they ate it right up.  So if your chin won't take it, you may try offering it through a different "medium".
Pages: [1]   Go Up