Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spots on base of tail  (Read 1214 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
spots on base of tail
« on: December 25, 2010, 10:54:51 AM »

do beiges have spots on the base of their tails? my rescue girl has a few spots (look just like her ear & nose freckles) at the base of her tail. her fur is a little thinner there - it's not a bald spot as such, i would imagine it's where the tail rubs on the floor/fleece etc, given that she's missing one of her back legs, i think she uses her tail against the floor more than if she had a full set of limbs.

so the thinner fur doesn't concern me really (plus her coat, even though it's improved a lot since i brought her home is nowhere near my other chins) but i'm wondering about the spots. they're not bumpy as far as i can tell. i tried spreading her fur on the rest of the tail to see if she has them anywhere else but i think they're just at the base. i have four more beiges but they don't have freckles yet.

also, talking about freckles, when do freckles develop? i don't know how old this girl is but she has a full set of freckles on her ears and nose. the rescue seemed to think that she's about 18 months but they have lost the paperwork and they're really not sure. i wonder if she's older than that. 

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: spots on base of tail
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 01:16:16 PM »

Can you take a picture of her tail?

As for ear freckles, each chinchilla is a little different as to how many they get and how soon.  I just sold a beige that was born 8/19/10 and he had two faint freckles showing up on his ears already.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »

here's a picture. sorry, it's not great but i can't get it any better - we've tried flash, no flash, external light source and she's had enough of being held upside down as well.

the spots are just to the right of my nail - you can see thin fur there. there are some spots where thicker fur starts as well (near the other spots)

i have a beige that was born at the end of july and she's starting to get a couple of spots - she was a very large lively baby! the other three were born in april and i think they only have about one spot each :)
mae has a lot of large spots on her ears and her nose is covered!

here's a link to a bigger picture: http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9861/pict0447v.jpg

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »

That looks normal.  Nothing to worry about.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 05:16:42 AM »

phew! good :) thank you!  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up