Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: breeding My Chins?  (Read 2984 times)

Corrie Anne

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
breeding My Chins?
« on: October 26, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »

Hello, I have 2 Chinchillas. 1 female that i know is 4 that has never been bred, i have had her for a month and i dont know if she has been in heat since i have had her. And i have a male that the prev. owner said was 1 but i think he is way older. I wanted to know since my female is 4 and has not had a littler before, if it is too late to start her. She is a Standard and the Male is a Hetero Beige( they did not tell me he is, i am gathering that he is from researching)(pics of them are in my albums) I out him in her cage right when i got him and they hit it off pretty well, She did nibble at him at first but they are buddies now. Even though they are friends and have been together only 2 weeks, does she still have to feel comfortable around him to want to mate with him?
Mother to 5 girls(8,4,3,2 and 6 months) and 1 boy(7) Mother to Daphne a 4yrold Standard and Sammy A Hetero Beige(prev. owners said he is 1 but i think he is old)Mother to Frankie a kitten.
R.I.P Daphne 2006- Oct 30th 2010

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: breeding My Chins?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »

There is a slightly higher risk with an older female more birthing complications and she is less likely to breed.  She will need to get used to him chinchillas are social animals and it can take up to a year before they will mate. Sometimes they mate faster but waiting a year for kits with a young pair is not unheard of
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »

Reading your other posts if you are unsure of background and you think there is something wrong with the males eye I would not suggest breeding these chins.  You may inadvertantly be breeding something the babies could inherit.  Not trying to sound bad but it is so hard loosing a kit, are you prepared for problems and/or one dying.  If you still decide to breed good luck.
Brandy

Corrie Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:05:21 AM »

I was thinking that my male is very old. That might be why he has an eye problem i heard that sometimes you can determine age by there teeth, he has golden stained teeth. I am also thinking( i have read) that my female might be too little too, she is much smaller than my male. I am going to be getting an already paired couple by Christmas. They havent had kits yet. I am sure i most likely wont breed the ones i have now. I did alot of reading last night. Thanks for the advise, i would not want problems for my chins kits.
Mother to 5 girls(8,4,3,2 and 6 months) and 1 boy(7) Mother to Daphne a 4yrold Standard and Sammy A Hetero Beige(prev. owners said he is 1 but i think he is old)Mother to Frankie a kitten.
R.I.P Daphne 2006- Oct 30th 2010

jbcstratton

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »

If they are housed together you don't have the say over whether they will breed or not.  Any male/female pair may breed.  They may not but it is the chance you take when they are together.  Good luck with the current chins.
Brandy

animalluver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »

I am also thinking( i have read) that my female might be too little too, she is much smaller than my male.

If she is four like you said, then she would be fully grown and the "small"-ness is probably due to the fact that she is the smaller type of chinchilla (Costina).

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »

A small female should not be bred. If you breed you really should breed to improve the species. and I am sorry to have to break it to you there is no way to tell a chinchillas age if you don't have the birthday. Definitly not by the teeth. Chinchilla teeth are supposed to be yellow in color.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up