Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I Know If My Chinchilla Is A Sapphire Carrier??  (Read 3061 times)

WillowDusk18

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Luigi & Co.
How Do I Know If My Chinchilla Is A Sapphire Carrier??
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:19:40 AM »

My Standard Grey Male Luigi Is Also A Sapphire Carrier.

We've Got 4 Females, Rayne - Dark Hetero Ebony
                              Evie - Beige
                              Caya - Brown Velvet
                              Gracey - White Mosiac (Sapphire Carrier)

We are planning to breed with Caya as she has had kits before with previous owner and is more experianced than my other two younger girls.

When the kit/is is/are born how do i know if the babies will be sapphire carriers like daddy? Can i advertise them as Sapphire carriers?

And if future plans lead to breeding with Gracey, is there a possibility of sapphires since there both carriers?

All confusing with genetics and mutations. I love the colours but i want to make sure my chinchillas are safe and healthy and not create problems by inproper breeding.

Hope you can help!
:)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: How Do I Know If My Chinchilla Is A Sapphire Carrier??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »

I hope your two carriers are very high quality as sapphires have so many issues with quality and need so much improvement beginner breeders are often discouraged from working with them until they know a lot more. I personally would not breed a sapphire carrier to those other females. Standard sapphire carriers tend to have more flaws then a standard male and the point of breeding is to breed to improve the animals

to answer your question there is no way to tell the kits are sapphire carriers so you cannot sell them as sapphire carriers. You will want to note on the pedigrees that they may be sapphire carriers but even when I breed sapphire carrier to sapphire carrier if they have standard babies that is what I advertise them as, the only time I list them as sapphire carriers is if Mom or Dad where actual sapphires and I am sure they are carriers.

If you breed you standard sapphire carrier male to the white sapphire carrier female you may get sapphires. but again look very closely at the quality of the animals as well as their pedigrees as far back as you can go. Due to poor breeding sapphires have way more genetic issues then other colors and many of us are working very very hard to improve them as a whole. It is really important to only breed if you are looking to improve and have high quality animals especially with sapphires.

I would not breed a standard sapphire carrier male to the Dark ebony, beige or brown velvet what are you looking to get with those pairings? what is the purpose of breeding those particular animals together?  Often sapphire carriers are lighter with poor veiling breeding them to darker animals like Ebony or Brown velvet will affect the vieling on the kits negativley, You will want a darker veiled standard to breed with them, for the Ebony you could even go with a dirty bellied standard male where with the brown velvet you will want a dark veiled male but with a crisp belly

pairing up animals is much more complicated when done right you will need a male that compliments each female or you will end up with Wedgy off colored dirty bellied babies.  what are the qualities in the girls you are looking to improve? what are the flaws in the male? if they all have the same flaw you are asking for trouble
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

WillowDusk18

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Luigi & Co.
Re: How Do I Know If My Chinchilla Is A Sapphire Carrier??
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »

My girls all have pedigree certificates with show backgrounds, as far back i can get.
I don't think i can find any flaws look wise, they are all nice bulky girls, big ears, my beiges eyes are a lovely shade of red, the only thing i could fault is my ebony looks slightly mousy if that makes sense.

My boy is again a lovely size and he's fairly dark but still with a white belly, but i've been speaking to another breeder by me, and he said he could sell me a quality standard he's had from america. He's used him before and said the kits have come out beautiful. He's offered him to me for £60. Is this what i should be going for more than mine, or is this guy having me on?

My brown velvet has recently gone with this breeder into pairing with a beige. Was i right to say yes to this? The beige is a show winner and i've seeen his pedigree certificates and theres a mixture of standards, beiges, wilson whites and brown velvets.

We've also been offered a pink white girl for breeding. I know twi whites cannot be bred together likewise two ebonys, wo would she be better to breed with a standard?

I've always thought the standards have the best genetics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up