Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: runny poo but nothing else is different?? any ideas?  (Read 1519 times)

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
runny poo but nothing else is different?? any ideas?
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »

My female Black Velvet just had her kits weaned about a week ago. The last couple of days she has had very runny poo it's been a huge mess. all over her and her cage! She is eating, drinking and just as active as usual, nothing seems out of the ordinary. The only difference is that I did change everyones diet (to tradition) last week, I did it slowly with their old food plus the new and everyone else (all 9) seem to be ok and nothing has changed, just her. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if its just the food change or if it has something to do with her kits being weaned???? any suggestions would be helpful, thanks
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: runny poo but nothing else is different?? any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »

I wouldn't think it would be the food change.  Is the poop really runny and smelly?  If so you might want to have a vet check for guiardia.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:37:10 AM »

It is not really runny,more like a smooshed blob and I havn't noticed a smell to it. Some seem normal just a little wetter then normal, too.

Would a breed back effect her any? I'm not sure if they were but I know they had a run together outside of their seperate cages the day after she gave birth. She escaped while I was checking the weight of the babies, and dad was out having his daily run (my fault I should have waited but I couldnt resist holding those little ones) though they wre only together for a short time.

None of the others are showing any signs of it. Only the one female has diarrea, the male was in with her, though I seperated him a couple days ago, and he has normal poo. Of the things I've read it could come from water (but wouldnt that affect more then just 1?) or contaminated food....again more than one???
I guess I'm just wondering how it would affect just one and not any of the others, so where would something like this come from to only affect my female?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:39:24 AM by jacd061506 »
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »

It could be the taxing of giving birth, nursing and the food change, on her digestive system. Some parasites live quite happily in their systems, but when they upset the parasites run amuck.
Try the burnt toast and stuff, if it helps she could get back to normal on her own. If it continues too long I'd have her seen by a vet. You could run into problems with dehydration as well, so keep a close on her. I'd start a bottle of pediolite with her too.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up