Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New chin...spraying prob again  (Read 1540 times)

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New chin...spraying prob again
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »

I just picked up a new rescue. She was dropped off at a parrot rescue with a Macaw. She spent a month or more there before I got her. I was able to just reach in pick her up and hold her and she was wonderful. She had a harnees thing, so with that on she rode home in my lap (I was NOT driving my fiance was lol) and I even took her into the pet store when I went to get dog food. She loved it, she sat on my shoulder and rode around the store. Then I got her home she cuddled up in my lap while my fiance put her cage back together she sat there for a half hour. After I put her in her cage she wont let me take her out without spraying me several times first. Then she comes forward lets me scratch behind her ears and her chin then I can pick her up and she will ride on my shoulder, or cuddle on my lap. I'm not sure whats going on this time! LOL I'm sticking to the rules, holding my hand in there even when shes spraying me, and she will do this about 3-4 times then she sits in the corner for about a minute then slowly walks forward and I can start to pet her. After that I just pick her up.
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: New chin...spraying prob again
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:37:45 AM »

She could like her new cage so much she is afraid you'll take her out.
I've seen that many times when I up grade to a nicer, bigger cage.
Yes just give her time to adjust.
Debbie.nl.ca

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »

that could be the case, becuase she goes to the same corner and she will do this as soon as I walk into the room, even if I'm not getting her out yet. she will run to the back left corner and stand on her back legs and wait to see if I will try to get her. She's fine after her little spraying incidents and everything but as soon as I put her back into her cage she runs to that corner and stands up!!
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »

I have a female that has been like that from day 1, and I've had her for 5 years  :D
Most stop once they've settled in, and into routine, but Leona hates me  ;D
Had another that was a bit troublesome, so I'd always use a facecloth to take him out. It was like once he realized I just didn't care he stopped. ;D
Debbie.nl.ca

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:20:29 AM »

I ended up putting her into a smaller cage for a bit. It has a shelf, a wheel and her house, so it is kinda crowded in there. she has no room to stand up and spray at me, so she sits in her wheel and I can just reach in give her a couple scratches, a piece of raisin and then pick her up. I'm hoping this will help her realize I'm not going to hurt her (or whatever it is she thought the need to spray me is)!!!!! I'm getting my other 3 chins today so my total will be 10 and one of these will be her new cage mate (if they accept each other) in a couple weeks (after everyone is out of quarintine). I'm also hoping this will help her too! because these new ones are very socialized and handled and love people!!!!! Looking forward to gettign them, and thanks for the replies!
Pages: [1]   Go Up