Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beige and an ebony  (Read 6628 times)

Nezumi Kmee

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Beige and an ebony
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:28:07 AM »

So I have a begie and an ebony together. I know both are over a year old, and I am fine with them not breeding. I was just reading the thread about brown velets. And there was a ton of great info in there. Now I have a good idea on why my two chins are small. My beige and ebony are only half as big as my two standards. I really need to post pics of chins on here. Anyway reading all that info makes me think I should seperate them. Sadly I can't do that until I move in the spring time. The other sad thing is that these two chins are great friends... Should they be seporated so they don't produce bad kits?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Beige and an ebony
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 07:37:25 AM »

If the female is not large enough to safely breed she needs to be pulled out immediatly or you could kill her..if she can't pass the kits through the birth canal they will get stuck and it will mean emergency c-section or death. And if your animals haven't been evaluated by a qualified person (ie judge or reputable breeder) you really should not breed them. Quality isn't just size. here is a rough list of what reputable breeders and judges look at

Conformation and Quality

v  Body should be blocky. If you are looking from above the shoulders should be as wide or about as wide as the hip.

v  Face should have a small nose, not long like a rat but rather a short nose.

v  Head and neck, the neck should be thick with little or no dip in the neck behind the head.

v  Size bigger is better

v  Fur.  You want density or a lot of fur. To check the density you can blow into the fur and see how much skin you can see. The less you see the better. When you stop blowing see how fast the fur bounces back. You should not be able to see where you blew.

v  Finish is the overall appearance. The fur should not look wooly, fur should be flawless

v  Color all colors should have a bluish tint. White should be bright the animals should not look reddish, orange or yellow.

v  Veiling this is how well the color covers the anima

v  Fur Length is very important. If the fur is too long the animal looks shaggy. The overall look should be smooth with no obvious abrupt changes.

v  Texture. Fine textured hair that looks soft and flowing is desired. Course hair will not look smooth. If you blow across the fur fine fur will ripple, course hair will lay down
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Nezumi Kmee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:27 AM »

I know that they are old enough to breed, as they are well over a year old. But in the post on the brown velvets, and it was said that you should not breed a mutation to another mutation. And my beige came from Wolf Swap down in Indiana, and my ebony came from a diffrent breeder from Indiana that I got from family. Just reading that post made me think that mine were breed from a mutation to another mutation, as I know my beige is a few months older than the ebony. And they are the same size. You can tell that my standards are bigger. My ebony and beige are not bad chins. They have nice thick coats, a nice white under layer. They meet everything, they are just not as big in size. And it makes me wonder if they ever breed if their kits would not be as good as it would be a mutatin with a mutation. Even they would produce a standard, that standard would not have as many quality genes. So it makes me wonder if I should separate them. But at the same time they both cry when they are apart. And right now my female doesn't let the male breed at all.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »

by big enough to breed I did not mean old enough I meantphysically big enough, and coat how do you know they meet all that have you actually had them evaluated by a MCBA or Empress judge or Reputable breeder? It depends on the particular animal as to if you can mix mutaions I have a champion beige in with a champion ebony but they compliment each other well. If I breed mutation to mutation any offspring I keep for breeding are then used with a standard
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Nezumi Kmee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »

Wow... I just got on here to get a more of an opinon, and to learn. I really don't need responses that don't help. As I have gotten diffrent answers from other people. My goal isn't to breed show chins. Just chins that are a good quality. As my local petstore buys my standards from me. And it would be nice to have other colors. And I read that a mutation to a mutation was not a great idea. So I was not sure after reading that if I should separate my two or not. I tried to post pic earlier today, but I don't have good internet.

Tiffany's Chinchillas

• Tiffany's Chinchillas
  • Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 175+
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany's Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:31:01 PM »

Wow... I just got on here to get a more of an opinon, and to learn. I really don't need responses that don't help. As I have gotten diffrent answers from other people. My goal isn't to breed show chins. Just chins that are a good quality. As my local petstore buys my standards from me. And it would be nice to have other colors. And I read that a mutation to a mutation was not a great idea. So I was not sure after reading that if I should separate my two or not. I tried to post pic earlier today, but I don't have good internet.

If you're going to breed, then you should breed to the show standard. "Good quality" chinchillas are show quality chinchillas. Breeding for colors or "cute babies" is absolutely pointless, it depletes the vigor in the gene pool. There is no reason to produce pet only quality chinchillas because you'd be ruining what responsible breeders and ranchers have worked so hard to achieve.

You were given an opinion, just an opinion you didn't want to hear. Please think about what you're doing and listen to those with experience.

As far as breeding beige and ebony together - you want animals that compliment each other, regardless of mutation. Whether it be standard to standard or mute to mute, you don't want to put two lacking qualities together as you take a risk at intensifying that trait and making it even worse. When mating multiple mutations, you take the risk of losing size and quality in your animals if you dont add quality standards into the lines every other generation. You have to be careful when pairing mutes, as you want to improve on their mutation, not decrease the quality in the mutation just for a hybrid color. If both animals are already lacking size, then they both need to be complimented to larger animals to keep size in the lines. I would personally suggest showing your animals so that you know how to compliment them.
Tiffany's Chinchillas
Breeding for Quality, not Quantity
www.tiffanyschinchillas.com

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:47:15 AM »

I did give you an opinion and help you learn. the best way to learn is from a reputable breeder and/or judge good quality is show quality they are the same thing. you should'nt even breed two standards together if they do not compliment each other. the attitude that "I am just breeding for cute pets or lots of colors" is the attitude of a back yard breeder.
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Nezumi Kmee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »

Finally the answer I was looking for! :) Because I don't know my chins lines at all. You finally explained what I was trying to ask. And now I know that I must separate them. As far as my two standards go, they can't be. The guy that I got them from has had them together forever.
Where do I need to go to find a chinchilla show. I would really like to look into them?
And what do you mean by compliment each other? Is personality or gene traits?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »

by compliment we mean Gene traits. If one chinchilla has an undesirable trait for example lets say long fur..you would want to pair that animal with a longer furred animal. or if you have two animals on the small wedgie side you do not want to put them together.and as a rule of thumb you do not want more than 1 major flaw, so many of people show and only breed 2nd place or better to put it as simple as it can be
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up