Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: friends vet told him that his dog should be put to sleep  (Read 1533 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
friends vet told him that his dog should be put to sleep
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »

So i have to vent for a min. I was on the phone with my friend. and he was telling me that he took his old dog to the vet. I forget exacetly what is wrong with his dog, but he has arthritis or something and can't really walk anymore. He was telling me how he has to carry her to go pee outside and stuff. So pretty much the only thing the dog can do is lay around. The vet said that she's old and nothing he can do for her. He has to decide to put her down or ask a few other vets.

I know its hard to decied to put a dog down. When i was about 13, we had to put our golden retriever of 10 yrs down. He was having seizers and each once got worse where he'd forget how to walk and forget who we were and stuff. He had a brain tumor and the vet couldn't do anything more for him.

I know the situations are different, but i feel sorry for his dog. That's no like for her anymore and she had a great life. and she's in pain. I'm sure he will notice it and i'm sure it won't be easy for him to do.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: friends vet told him that his dog should be put to sleep
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »

i have a great dane who became really lethargic and the vet originally thought there was something wrong with his legs. xray revealed that he did indeed have a bit of bone where he shouldn't but they didn't know if this was a bit that was torn off or whether it had always been there and they didn't think it was too bad. they could fix it but this would mean going to the uk (they don't do this type of surgery on the island), have one leg done, keep him in very restrictive conditions for 6-8 months after to let it heal (no walkies, no stairs etc), then take him back, have the other leg done and let him heal again for 6-8 months.

he was 5 years old at the time and we just could not justify doing that to him given he quite possibly only has 3 years to live. he had no problems walking but he wasn't running and he didn't like to jump on higher things either.
so we just thought... it's better for him to have a lovely life until it gets bad than go through the surgeries and take a year and a half of his life.

however, we later discovered his thyroid wasn't working and since he's started on medication for that, he's back to his normal self, running like a loonie, jumping and everything!

anyway, my point is i guess that i agree that this poor doggie would probably be better off if your friend let her go. however, i do understand the need for him to realise that as hard as this is, it's the right decision. i'm sure the second opinions will help. and while he's doing that.. you say she's in pain.. they can do pain therapy on dogs quite successfully so perhaps they can keep her comfortable while he's coming to terms with this.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »

before she decides, ask her if the dog is on any pain medication,  for my dillion when he was getting arthritis i used [and spelling is gonna be wrong, sorry] rymadil, meticam, and dermamax.

they work great.. he lasted until he was 16 1/2, thats when it went into his back and made it real horrible for him, and then he started to lose his mind because he was lifting his leg in the house, but other than that, the meds worked great for about 5 years.

and if you have a decent vet, he will give you a prescription and you can find that stuff cheaper on line.  i use fosters and smith alot, they are good and safe.

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »

Aww, thanks both of you.