Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone interested in paper bedding??  (Read 5789 times)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Anyone interested in paper bedding??
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:42:23 AM »

I am sick off wood shavings.  Carefresh bedding is just too costly.  I found a place that sells recycled paper as bedding. They are in Colorodo.  I called them and there are no distributors in the south east.  I can become a distributor but I need to buy in serious bulk!!  I can store it and have about a 6 month supply or I was hoping other people might want to make the switch too and would be interested in buying some bags once its here.  Depending on how much I buy at once the price per bag would be between $8-$9.  But it expands to 12 cubic feet compared to wood chips that are about 9 cubic feet.  She sent me a sample bag that I am going to use today and I will let you know if it truly goes farther.  I am still working out the details and trying to decide what to do but I would love to here if anyone else is interested. It would help make my decision.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Anyone interested in paper bedding??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »

i'm curious to know your comments on it?
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:36:05 AM »

Well, the bags are the same size as the large wood shavings bag.  When I opened it it looked like newspaper that had gone through a paper shredder.  It was speckles of all sorts of colors like confetti.  What I loved was how soft it was! After grabbing handfuls of wood for hours a day this was delightful.   It took longer to fill the pans because the paper is so compressed I had to rub handfuls of it between my palms to fluff it up.  But is did fluff up even more than wood. 

I use ranch run cages and I have 5 runs to one bank.  (So one bank has 15 pans total.)  A bag of aspen will do 2 full banks if I keep the shavings shallow in the pan.  I did 2 full banks yesterday before I ran out of time and I was only about 1/2 way through the first bag.

Pros so far:

*Super Soft
*I'll only need half the bags so I save money
*No wood smell
*No dust

Possible cons:

*It is really shredded small easy to throw out (but they did that with everything)
*A bit longer to fluff when filing pans
*I wonder if it will flatten and compact over the week more than pine did.
  My Aspen is so finely shredded that it does this which just means that the
  poop can't fall to the bottom and the cage looks dirtier.

I did wonder about the inks coming off on the chinchillas.  I know it is vegetable based ink so its non toxic but I wonder if any will
come off on the animals.  I am going to still use wood shavings with the ones going to show this year until I am sure it won't be a problem.  Nothing came off on hands while I was filling pans and I did drop some in the sink and get it wet and no color came off so I think it will be fine.

I am off to the chin building so I'll let you know how it held up the first night.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »

yah thats true, with them goign pee on it, the ink might come off.. yah good idea, keep using the other stuff.. i can see it now, people will be going up to your chins to read the latest news. rofl
Your One Stop Chin Shop

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »

So far so good.  My daughter thinks they are recycled phone books and I think she may be right.  I have wet the shavings and can't make them bleed.  So far I am in love!!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:13:21 AM »

I have thought about it it came up at the WI MCBA meeting but I havent come across it yet at the feed stores. ALso I only pay 4.00 for my bag of pine
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »

wow thats great news you two..  how is it on odor?
Your One Stop Chin Shop

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »

jmdebb I haven't tried it yet. just thought about it after the discussion at the meeting
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »

So far I am loving it.  It takes about 15 bags of pine to do my entire building and the pine smell is so strong is smells like ammonia.  I am so happy to get a bedding that has no smell.  I have the paper bedding in 10 banks of cages now (150 cages).  It has been 5 days since I filled the first cages and it is holding up very nice.  I haven't gotten all of the pine out of the building yet, the last of it will be switched to Aspen tomorrow.  Then I will spend tomorrow night exhausting the building and bringing in fresh air.  Hopeful the building will finally have a nice scent after that.  With our heat and humidity I have been fighting the ammonia/pine smell all summer.  I can't wait for cooler fall weather so I can throw open some windows and really air out the building!!!  Even at night the temp here is still over 75 degrees.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »

So far I am loving it.  It takes about 15 bags of pine to do my entire building and the pine smell is so strong is smells like ammonia.  I am so happy to get a bedding that has no smell.  I have the paper bedding in 10 banks of cages now (150 cages).  It has been 5 days since I filled the first cages and it is holding up very nice.  I haven't gotten all of the pine out of the building yet, the last of it will be switched to Aspen tomorrow.  Then I will spend tomorrow night exhausting the building and bringing in fresh air.  Hopeful the building will finally have a nice scent after that.  With our heat and humidity I have been fighting the ammonia/pine smell all summer.  I can't wait for cooler fall weather so I can throw open some windows and really air out the building!!!  Even at night the temp here is still over 75 degrees.

yah in small quantities pine can smell nice, but with all that, i can't imagine how over powering it was..

i can't wait to open windows either.. well its great this working on ordor smell too...  its great to have another alternative out there. thanks jamie.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop

1newChinmom1

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:55 AM »

My daughter thinks they are recycled phone books and I think she may be right.  I have wet the shavings and can't make them bleed.  So far I am in love!!
This sounds like a good alternative for us. Since both of our chin hutches are in my daughters room, our ChinBabies DO get held and cuddled alot. I would hate to have a multi-coloured daughter and chins,lol. ;D
Of course, I have to wonder, any change in your phone bills?  ;D

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know  ::think::
Pages: [1]   Go Up