Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here!  (Read 1887 times)

Mina

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm new here!
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »

Hello, my name is Mina and I'm new to your board, but not to being owned by a chin.  I had a beautiful, sweet and loving female that I was told was a "light ebony" as a pet for 17 years. 
I have many pets and I raise, breed and sell snakes and tarantulas.  Recently at the all pet expo I go to.  A lady there, who breeds and sells chins that I had been admiring for a long time, asked me if I had any issues with disabled pets.  I don't, I've had many, and currently have a 3 legged dog.
She had a disabled chin, a little boy, who like my former girl was also "light ebony".  He had become stuck in the birth canal and Mom reached down to pull him out and bit off his front foot and part of the front leg.  She had been concerned but the wound healed well and he had no problems getting around. 
She didn't feel right about selling him because of his disability, but gave him to me.
I'm thrilled to have a chin again, but my girl was almost a year old when I got her and this sweet baby is not even 2 months yet.  I'm sure I'll have lots of baby questions!!!!!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Hi, I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »

hi..

such a sad story but with a great ending. 

well ask away... we will do our best to help you out
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum! That is a sad story but i'm sure you will take great care of him. It's interesting that you raise, breed and sell snakes and tarantulas. Those are all things I don't like. Not many people do, but its kinda cool that you do.

Whats the story with the 3 legged dog?

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »

Not many people do understand or like my tarantulas and snakes, except the people on the tarantula and snake boards I'm on as well.
As far as my 3 legged dog, he is a pit bull and was born as he is, he does actually have a "stump" that is a twisted in leg the shape of a triangle, he can move it from the shoulder but not the other joints which are frozen in place.  His name is Igor and he was rescued from being a bait dog (one that dog fighters use to train dogs to fight) and then abandoned, so we adopted him.  He is a wonderful dog, very sweet and loving.
The new little boy chin is settling in.  He had a rough first night, he kept me up all night barking every 5 minutes.  He did much better yesterday and I found him in his food dish yesterday afternoon.  He has started exploring his home and appears to have eaten a good deal of the hay I gave him overnight.  I'm sure he is still very scared and unsure of his surroundings.  He will be 2 months old on August 11.  I was told that out of all of the babies currently available he was the most energetic and hyper.  I thought that would probably add to his unsettling feelings about his new home, so I'm making a point of letting him make his own schedule.  He will let me know when he has settled in well enough for us to start being friends.  Still no name yet, any suggestions?

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »

Hats off to you MIna for taking in that sweet baby boy! Everything happens for a reason and he was meant to be with you...He is a pretty lucky little guy...Best of Luck to you and your new addition to what sounds like one BIG happy family! HMMM  ::think::...name suggestion..think I might have to sleep on that one...or just take in and digest his behavior and actions and you will come up with a perfect name for him...that is what I did with mine..MIne, all 4, ARE their names totally!   :::grins::

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »

Thats a sad story for the dog but it has happy ending. Thats great that all he has been though he is just a loving dog. Thats great about the chin to. Sounds like he is doing good in his new home. I'm sure he will warm up to you just fine.You could wait and see what his personality is to name him.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:36:33 AM »

Yes, Igor had a bad past but you couldn't tell it now, he is a total love sponge.
We named the little chin Pippin, and he is already relaxing and doing much better.  He stopped barking all of the time and is investigating his home.   He will come right to the wires and let me talk with him, but I'm not allowed to attempt to touch him yet.  Now if something startles him or he hears a new noise, if I go and talk quietly to him, he stops barking and listens to me.  He seems to want me to pay attention to him, but he dictates how.
He is 2 months old today, so I gave him a nice long piece of hay (since if I understand correctly he is to young yet for treats) and told him happy birthday and how much I love him, and how cute he is and how happy I am that he has come to be my friend.  He listened very carefully, and then went back to repositioning his kleenex box, which is his favorite thing to do.
We will be friends eventually.  He needs time and I'm more than willing to let him do things at his comfort level.  He has already, in my opinion, showed me he wants to be friends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up