Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reintroducing mom and dad.  (Read 3087 times)

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
Reintroducing mom and dad.
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »

So yesterday and today Venessa and I decided to let Titan and Ebbie see each other again for a few since its been just shy of 2 weeks.  Well things didn't go as I had hoped.  Ebbie was very aggressive towards him, chasing him and pulling fur.  There was no biting just fur slipping by Titan.  He just let her do this.  So we immediately separated them and tried again today.  The same thing.  How would you say to reintroduce them?  The cages are and have been right next to each other.  They are 4 inches away at most.  Should I wait the few weeks and after the babies are weaned introduce them again or what?  They have been together for almost 2 years.  Now shes being mean to him.  Is this a protective thing over the babies.  Any help please!  I just want the little family back together again : (

Justin

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Reintroducing mom and dad.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »

hey justin,

did you manage to put them together? this probably won't help but mine could not wait to be reunited and they were separated for nearly 8 weeks because of chinchi's surgery.

i would maybe suggest you could try to have them meet outside of the cage without the babies so she doesn't feel like she needs to protect the babies, then stick the dad in with the babies while mum is still out - this way she'll be able to see there's no need for her to protect them. you could swap toys & hammocks between the cages & if they have any fur slips you could swap bits of fur, you know, stuff you'd do if you were introducing two new chis.

good luck!

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:53 AM »

The same thing happened to me. Silly and Chilly were inseparable and loved each other to bits. I re-introduced Silly and Chilly would fight him. I even got him fixed so he could live with his family but Chilly would not accept him no matter what I did. Mothers can be over protective.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Jhenderson27

• Appreciation points: 4
  • Giz and Luna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:22:04 AM »

I waited a little longer until the kits got big enough where they were on their own.  Just after 6 weeks with mom she got an eye infection and I had to take the kits out and they are now on their own completely weaned.  She went on metacam for pain relief from her vet so they didn't want the babies with her.  As soon as we did this Titan and Ebbie started to get along awesome on their play dates.  Now they are back to being inseparable.  Its just odd how things like this work.  Thanks for the advice.  The babies are now little monsters but doing great.  Everyone is now over 200g's with today being their 7 week birthday.  They are doing great and are all happy little critters.  The three boys are housed all together and are the cutest band of brothers.  How we love them!

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:53:33 AM »

some females will refuse to allow a male into the cage while they have kits.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »

that is brilliant! must be a relief to have them back together!

glad the babies are doing so well :) little monster luella weighed in at 188g last night, she's only 4 and a half weeks old!
Pages: [1]   Go Up