Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: double pregnancy  (Read 4496 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
double pregnancy
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »

just out of interest really, if a chin happens to get pregnant on two separate occasions, carrying different aged babies, once she comes to give birth, do both pregnancies come out or does the one that's not come to a full term yet stay in until it comes to term?

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: double pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:31:48 PM »

Either can happen. Usually they all come at once but once in a while she will carry the others to tern as well.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »

I used to read a post from here and I think you can take a look as reference, this is call "superfoetation".
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2397.msg19120.html#msg19120

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »

ah! thanks guys! it's interesting, isn't it?

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »

I had a mother Candy who this happened to and the baby came out weighing 28 grams, she passed away. I did my best, even took her to the vets but she was too young. I named her stinker. It was sad, she passed in my arms. ::cry222:::
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

so sorry to hear that courtney :( 28g is tiny!

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:23:44 AM »

Thanks, yes, it was really sad, she died in my arms.  ::cry222:::
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »

i am so sorry courtney :( it's absolutely heartbreaking. at least you were with her.

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »

Thanks but I was with her until the end. It was so sad.  ::cry222:::

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:47:36 AM »

sorry courtney, i did mean that you WERE there with her. i wasn't there with chinchi when he died and i can't get over it (he had a reaction to anesthetic).

we had to put one of our guinea pigs to sleep two weeks ago and i was at the vets with him waiting for my husband to come down (he was at work) so i sat on the floor with him on my lap crying my eyes out for an hour. it was awful but it was important for me that i was there with him.

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:16:32 AM »

Oh yes, I know that's what you meant. Oh my, how horrible, Im so sorry but you could not be there. Try to let it go and realize you would be thir if you could. You did your best and nothing can change the fact you loved him and wanted to be their for him. He knows that, really he does.  :'(  And sorry about your bunny, you are having a hard time like me. It hurts like crazy. I know. 

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »

i could have been there... they called just before i was about to pick him up to say he was up and about and then he crashed so he was on oxygen & his heart rate was good and his chest was clear so hopefully with enough oxygen, he should process the anesthetic. i asked if i could go down to see him and me and my husband went, he was in a little box with oxygen going in, sleeping. they lifted the lid so i could give him a stroke and his whiskers twitched when i stroked and talked to him and the vet said 'aww, do you know your mum?' and she also showed me the incision just so i'm not alarmed when i check it when we take him home as the abscess was a lot larger than they thought and they had to make a larger incision. he was pulling his leg back down quite strongly which was a good sign.

the vet said they would keep him overnight for observation but hopefully with enough oxygen, he should be ok. i told the receptionist when i was leaving - i should have stayed!!!! - to call me if anything changes immediately.
i called them just before closing time to see how he was and the receptionist said 'he's still the same, still with us but in critical care. we'll let you know if anything changes'
then i got a phone call an hour later from the vet to say that he had been up and about for nearly an hour but then crashed again and they could not bring him back this time. i should have stayed with him - i just didn't feel that i would be allowed but i should have asked and insisted - i keep thinking that if i was there when he woke up, he'd be ok... i will never forgive myself
Pages: [1]   Go Up