Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla losing weight  (Read 1867 times)

Mooncat808

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla losing weight
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:00:33 AM »

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me please.
I have 2 gorgeous chin twins born on 7/7/2007. Unfortunately 6/7 weeks ago one of my chins' leg got stuck under a marble (and it was a wired mesh) and we were forced to amputate.

After an intense recovery of feeding him thru a syringe for 2 weeks while he was in his collar, his stitches healed and he was hopping around. Then soon after I began to notice some wetness around one of the eyes. The same thing happened to his brother.
I was given some Fucithalmic and it appeared to have gone away.

Then 1 week ago I noticed that my amputee chin was quite skinny. He has a small hunchback and I could see the bend of his "good" leg. He now weighs 537g, although I have been observing him, his poop seems fine and he appears to be eating well.

Is this something to be worried about?

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla losing weight
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »

sorry to hear about your amputee chin. glad he bounced back though! how much did he weigh before, how much weight did he lose?

you may want to monitor his weight if he seems to be eating and moving around ok and see if he's still losing. perhaps it's what he weighs now?
you could try to feed him some oxbow critical care - mine ate it off a spoon when he stopped eating everything else but he was very particular about how he liked it. it's a powder and he liked his mixed with hot water (it cools down quick as you only make a small spoonful and he liked it warm) into a paste that was wet but not liquid. i fed him every hour to start with and he did put weight on doing that.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Chinchilla losing weight
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »

i too am sorry for what happened.. but thankfully he made it okay.

i just wanted to say it is very important to monitor their weights. i learned the hard weigh  :2funny:  okay sorry.. i learned the hard way..  you don't have to weigh every day or every week, [well maybe for kits you should like once a week] but when they are older about once a month is what my vet told me.  that way for sure you know what is going on.

if you really believe he is losing weight you might want to get to a vet. 
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up