Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocky is not 100% Blind  (Read 3146 times)

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Rocky is not 100% Blind
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:45:16 AM »

Well Rocky (one of my jack russell terriers) was having a lot of trouble, she would be walking into my fish tank and just sit there and getting extremely confused around the house. When we took her for a walk she would walk into trees and the stairs to the garage, she couldn’t see, I had to pick her up. I have to use my voice to tell her where I am.

We rushed her into the vets again, 4 hours away and he tested her. He said she is now totally blind. I started balling. My baby can’t see. Im glad I already started voice commands. This is just terrible, I feel so bad for her. There is nothing I can do. But despite everything she is as happy and demanding as can be, that dog just keeps on going. She’s seriously my hero, nothing, I mean nothing stops that dog, she will be just fine.

So that is what’s going on. Her pressure reading was threw the roof, we have to keep that monitored, she is not in any pain so the eye does not need to be removed yet. As long as we keep her on those drops she shouldn’t be in any pain. If she acts mope and we suspect she is in pain and her pupils fully dilate or turn blue we need to go see him and her eye may have to come out. I dread that, it was a horrible experience the first time.

Im sure glad I have an emergency account for her. I set that up a long time ago, this is the first time I had to go into it.

Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Rocky is not 100% Blind
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:32:36 AM »

awww so sorry to hear that..

is there somethign wrong with her eye -- since you wrote  not in pain and doesn't have to be removed? 

its so hard when animals are sick or have problems. 
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:15 AM »

Well I will try to explain. We all have this lens that protects out eyes well the first time it pushed back into her head causing terrible pain, nothing could be done but to remove the eye, it was to late to save it. Now it's happening to the other eye BUT we caught it easrly and as long as she has her drops and her eye pressure doesn't get to high she is not in pain. So we go for pressure readings. But one day she went to bed just fine, able to see, the next day she woke up blind and had to have the eye removed. 

But both vets said as long as she is not in pain she will adjust to being blind. I am teaching her command words and using my voice to where I am, I started that a long time ago. She does get confused but she is still happy and nothing stops that dog from being happy. She still goes swimming and surfing on the molly brown, she still demands treats, she still goes for walks and seems very happy. It just kills me to watch her blind now but she sticks close to me and I walk around the house with her slowley. 

Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »

is this a common thing with her breed?  poor doggy...
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »

Yes, this is the problem with jack russells. But not this bad.

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »

poor baby..

that is what really stinks about purebreds.. all their genetic problems.. you just never know.. it's scarey.. 

i have to start worrying about bloat all over again.. ugh!! i worry so easily too.. like cairo is so old [ :'(] that i don't run her anymore, but with bear being such a younging i have to be careful again on when not to feed or water him because he just played yada yada yada... [i dont mean just played a bit with the ball in the house, but like outside when he gets real exersise]
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:40:50 AM »

Yes, every breed has their genetic problems and this is a jack russell one. We check her sister, Jack and she is fine. It is scary but she went swimming with us yesterday and surfing on the molly brown and went for a walk. So she will still have a happy and fulfilling life. Things just move more slowley in the house because she sticks by me and listens for my commands. Oh Im sorry you have to worry about him. He gets bloat? What does the vet say to do about bloat?

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:53 AM »

no, thankfully he never did get it, but deep chested animals are prone to it.. and if you don't catch it in time, it will kill.. that is why it scares me so much.. 
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Courtney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 12:33:39 AM »

Wow, I never new that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up