Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gus died from Pneumonia did I do something wrong?  (Read 5336 times)

Gustopher

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Gus died from Pneumonia did I do something wrong?
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:41:41 AM »

I just lost one of my chinchillas to what the vet said was pneumonia, I first noticed that he was lethargic then he was having labored breathing by by the time I got him to the vet I think it was too late. I have another young chin and I want to make sure that I give him the best care and this doesn't happen to him too...is there anything I could have done differently or did or didn't do that may have caused this? Thank you for your help, losing Gus was so hard I can't bear the thought of loosing Oliver...

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Gus died from Pneumonia did I do something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »

I'm so sorry about your chinchilla.  Was the cage in any drafts?  Is there an a/c or a fan blowing right at the cage?  That can cause respiratory problems.

Chinchillas are very bad about hiding their symptoms.  Many times by the time you notice a problem it is already too late.  Once the chinchilla is lethargic it is very hard to come back from that. 

Watch your other chinchilla very carefully.  If they were together I would go ahead and take him to the vet to have his lungs listened too.  Then watch for any change in the sound of his breathing, any wetness in the eyes, any nose discharge, or any sounds that could be a cough. At the first sign of ANY change take him to the vet ASAP.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:58:49 AM »

i'm sorry for your loss.... its not easy.

j
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »

Yes I'm sorry for your loss too.
The only time I have seen respiratory problems was due to mouth infections from malocclusion.
Debbie.nl.ca

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about your losing Gus. Pneumonia in chins is hard to successfully treat because it's usually too advanced by the time symptoms appear. I agree with Jamie that being proactive would be best, in regards to Oliver. Have your vet check him out, and talk with him about a) giving Oliver a course of preventative antibiotics or b) having a course of antibiotics at home, so you can give it to Oliver should symptoms appear asap(if that happens on the weekend, you can lose a couple of days waiting to get into the vet). Just some ideas for you...
Lori

smokie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »

Apart from drafts etc. which has already been mentioned, was the cage well enough ventilated?  (contradiction I know).  If he was kept without much fresh air that can cause respiratory infections too especially if cage a little messy and there's ammonia fumes from their pee.

This won't fix respiratory infections but rubbing a little Vics on them can help ease their breathing just be careful not to use anything poisonous (ask your vet what he recommends).

Very sorry and sad to hear about your little guy.

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »

I had a chin with pneumonia. It was so tough for her to get better and she was on so much medication and finally she was so sick I decided to put her down. Pheumonia is contageous so keep a CLOSE eye on your other chins. Im very sorry you lost your chin.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »

Sorry to hear about Gus ... the first thing would have been to sterilize everything in the cage ... anything that could not be sterilized should be disposed of a.s.a.p./yesterday.       ::nod::

Do you, your neighbors, family, friends have a cat?  Is there a stray cat in the neighborhood?  Feline distemper is cat pneumonia ... it is highly contagious ... if you walk across an area where a cat has been or pet a cat with feline distemper or one who is a carrier of feline distemper (carries the virus, but never gets sick), the virus/germ/bacteria can easily be passed on to a chinchilla.  Chinchillas usually die within 24 to 48 hours when they have pneumonia.

I have a stethoscope I use to listen to my little ones ... it is one used for infants or small children.   I have been lucky had have not had it in my herd, but know of others who have lost a/or more chins to pneumonia.

Do you have a water bottle and not a bowl of water for the chin to drink from?  If a chin gets wet and chilled, he can become sick quickly.

Is your cage made of wire?  No more than 2 solid sides (opposite to each other) is recommended for chinchillas.  The air needs to be able to flow normally through a cage, but not blow through a cage from a vent, a fan or a window.  Enclosed cages (such as an aquarium holds all the fumes from the urine and feces close to the bottom of the 'cage' and the chin has no choice but to breath that bad air and become sick from it.

I would have had Oliver checked out ... just for safety's sake and for peace of mind.

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:54:45 AM »

Do you, your neighbors, family, friends have a cat?  Is there a stray cat in the neighborhood?  Feline distemper is cat pneumonia ... it is highly contagious ... if you walk across an area where a cat has been or pet a cat with feline distemper or one who is a carrier of feline distemper (carries the virus, but never gets sick), the virus/germ/bacteria can easily be passed on to a chinchilla.  Chinchillas usually die within 24 to 48 hours when they have pneumonia.

::wave::   Jo Ann

ya know jo ann, i never had an idea that this could happen. thanks for telling us. 

jean :chin:
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »

I'm sorry for your loss

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »

Im so sorry, I know exactly what you are going threw because I lost a chin, Chucker to pneumonia. It was horrible. Sometimes their systems are just weak and they get sick, you didn't do anything wrong. You tried your best but it was too late and in fact when a chin catches pneumonia antibiotics rarely work.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up