Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: breed back and weight - possibly pregnant?  (Read 6732 times)

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: breed back and weight - possibly pregnant?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »

she weighed 780g yesterday. today, she let me place my hand under her tummy and i could feel two very gentle kicks! (don't worry, i was careful not to press, just had my hand underneath her) - so i guess that means we're expecting!

the fact she let me do this is a sign in itself. she doesn't like to be picked up or touched on her tummy but during her first pregnancy, she let me pick her up a few times a week or so before giving birth - obviously i would not do that now but i didn't know she was pregnant then. i don't know whether it's because she's just getting sweeter or because she's thinking 'for goodness sake woman, i'm huge!!! huge!! can you not see how huge i am? you're a fool if you think i'm gonna move!'

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »

fluff let me stroke her tummy today and i found an elongated nipple!!!

Since this is not her first litter, the elongated nipple is not as important, but you should see the fur closest to the nipple fall away soon, if not already.
If you felt two kicks (not gas bubbles), it should be about two weeks or less before the new rug rats arrive.

I've had several sets of quads, all but one went well.  I had one set of sextuplets, five made it.  I think all six would have, had I realized there were still more to be born after #4, but I thought she was finished.  When I found #5 he was already gone ... she was to tired to remove the birth sack.  On #6, I removed the birth sack and removed fluid from the lungs.  As it turned out, that one was the smallest born, but, ended up being the largest in the litter by week 4.  And, yes, I did have my hands full ... but I was lucky two other moms that were weaning kits could and did take one each of the litter to help the momma chin contend with the other 3.  I'll post a picture of her below ... this is her about 2 weeks before delivery ...

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »

aww she is beautiful!

haha i absolutely love the 'rug rats'  ;D

i put my hand under her tummy again and there was quite a lot of movement, this felt more like kit moving around than kicking  - sort of right at the top 'corner' of her bump. it was a lot stronger than the gentle kicks i felt before.

her due date is 26th of july (16 days to go) so that could mean that she'll be a little early?

i'm secretly hoping there will be a pink white as chinchi was a pink white but it doesn't really matter what colour they come out as long as everyone is healthy!

i am so glad to hear you've had quads without any trouble. i can't believe you had six! no wonder you thought she was done after #4!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »

i have also noticed in the past few days that she's drinking a lot more. she normally doesn't drink much - you usually cannot tell that the water has gone down in her bottle but you most definitely can at the moment.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »

::silly::  
i put my hand under her tummy again and there was quite a lot of movement, this felt more like kit moving around than kicking  - sort of right at the top 'corner' of her bump. it was a lot stronger than the gentle kicks i felt before.

her due date is 26th of july (16 days to go) so that could mean that she'll be a little early?

It could mean one of several different things ... (1) she may deliver earlier ... (2) she may have more than 2 ... if she does not deliver until the 16th or after or (3) the kit/kits are larger than normal or (4) she's got a baby kangaroo in there. :::grins::

i'm secretly hoping there will be a pink white as chinchi was a pink white but it doesn't really matter what colour they come out as long as everyone is healthy!

That's the best attitude to have!   ::nod::

What color is momma?

An increase in her intake of water, as big as you seem to be describing, is a pretty good sign she could deliver soon.  Usually the last 24 to 48 hours they will almost double their intake of water as to be able to produce enough milk for the kits.  Has her water intake increased that much or close to it?

Fur falling from around the tits and constantly cleaning herself is also a sign that is apparent in the last 24 to 48 hours.
Watch for any panting, stretching and or flattening out on the bottom of the cage more so than usual.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:01:19 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »

hahaha a little kangarooo  :2funny:

but but but, she's only 96 days in! she can't deliver in 24 to 48 hours! she does drink noticeably more but i'm not sure if it's double what she'd normally have. i think i will mark the bottle but then, her daughter is in with her.

she is a standard grey and chinchi was a pink white. i think the colour calculator gives me 25% chance of pink white, 25% wilson white, 25% standard grey and 25% beige. all three babies are hetero beige - what are the chances with all these options?

pippi her daughter is in the cage with her and i was going to take her out on the 20th of july - i thought with her due date being 26th, even if she's 5 days early, that should cover it. can they be earlier than 5 days? the only day she could have got pregnant is the 6th of april so the due date is definitely right. don't fancy having pippi in when she has the babies.

she's not cleaning herself and i don't think the fur around the teats has fallen out yet.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »

::silly::  It would not be impossible for her to deliver early ... if she delivers before day 108, the kits would be considered premature and you really don't want that ... to many possible complications ... but it is not unheard of.  Don't know which is worse ... preemies or ones carried over time (over 120 days), sometimes they can be to large to pass through the birth canal.  If she is not constantly cleaning and the fur has not fallen away, you are probably safe.  

I like to keep an eye on mine starting day 105 ... rarely is one born that early.

Most kits are born naturally and come out normally, so I would not worry and the best thing is not to panic ... just be prepaired!   ;)

Hope this helps!

*Expect the worst, but hope for the best ... that way, you can't be disappointed or surprised.   ::nod::
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:12:21 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

thanks jo ann,

i will take pippi out on day 104, just in case.

i know, i'm panicking. for months it's been a toss up between pregnant and not pregnant and now i'm really excited but i want them all to be healthy. you should have seen me when we found the first lot! i was hyperventilating!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »

i think fluffy's fur around the nipples has started falling out! i can see a lot of black on her tummy so that must mean there are gaps and also i can see two parallel vertical lines on her tummy - they're not exactly underneath her armpits, they're further inwards if that makes sense.

i could feel an alien in her tummy moving quite vigorously today. 100 days in!

how do you remove the fluid from baby's lungs? just covering bases!

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 07:12:23 AM »

It could mean one of several different things ... (1) she may deliver earlier ... (2) she may have more than 2 ... if she does not deliver until the 16th or after or (3) the kit/kits are larger than normal or (4) she's got a baby kangaroo in there.

turns out she was carrying a baby kangaroo! the little fatty is 54g! :D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up