Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freak Accident... Caution to all chinchilla lovers...  (Read 5492 times)

ricardo10452

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Freak Accident... Caution to all chinchilla lovers...
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:24:14 AM »

My chinchilla died a couple of days ago, and while I did not have him for a long time, I was very attached to him. He was very playful and energetic and had all the freedom he could want. That freedom came with a price. My apartment was his playground and he loved it and he loved to hide in dark corners. Sometimes, hours would go by without me seeing him, but he would always surface, when I brought out his food and eat off my hand and climb all around me. Very rare and sociable personality. Then, the other day, I could not find him and he would not come out for his food. I searched all over and came to the conclusion that he might have sneaked out of the house, when I wasn't looking, or ran out when I opened the door to go to work with me noticing... about 36-48 hours passed and no chinchilla... I was convinced that he may have jumped out the window or slipped out of the door without me knowing. Then I was doing my chores, and went to remove the garbage bag, from the trash can in the kitchen, to find him dead, inside the garbage can. I cried sooo hard. He must have jumped on top of the garbage can, inkowing that the top, revolves, and could not get out. He made no noises or anything. I never knew he fell in their. I could imagine the heat levels in the garbage can and the lack of air. He must've suffered horribly. If you have one of these types of garbage cans in your home, I urge you to get rid of it and replace it with a garbage can, that requires you to step on a lever, to open the top. I am sooo sorry Chinchuri. That was his name. God bless him. I love you and I miss you. I attached a picture of the type of garbage can that took the life of my friend. Do not keep these in your homes if you like to give your chinchilla freedom.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Freak Accident... Caution to all chinchilla lovers...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »

I am so very sorry for your loss. :hugs:
That's the hardest one to handle, knowing you could have prevented it.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Yes they can get into the strangest places, and should always be supervised when out of their cages.
Their homes are the safest place for them.
I know folks feel they should have some freedom, but most will run home/cage when startled.
Debbie.nl.ca

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »

I am very sorry you lost your chinchilla but that is why they should only be allowed out of the cage when being supervised. They can get into situations like that, chew wires and get electrocuted....there are thousands of ways a loose chinchilla can die
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

ricardo10452

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:34:17 AM »

Thank you guys very much for your kind words. There is definitely a life lesson learned here...

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:15:05 AM »

Aww, I am soo sorry for you loss.  :( But yes there is a life lesson to learn. I used to let my chins run around my room, but when I got two it was little harder to catch both of them, and then i noticed they were chewing on my alarm clock wire. Luckly they didn't get hurt, but they could have. I do have one chin that is determind to get out of his play fence and run free. I'm certain he remembers when he would go anywhere in my room and i'd spend 30 mins trying to get him to go back in his cage.

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:56 AM »

I am so sorry...that must have been heartbreaking! Thank You for sharing your horrible experience in the hopes of preventing this from happening to any other beautiful chin. Mine are not allowed out without constant supervision...they are far too nosey and curious and can fit ANYWHERE! I get nervous... ::cry222::: :'(

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »

I'v learned the hard way that they REALLY CAN FIT ANYWHERE. trying to block of stuff you don't want them to get to doesn't always work, which is why they have a place fence now.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:11:53 AM »

i'm truley sorry for your loss.. but this is a good reason to keep them in a cage..sorry no offence meant, just making a point..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

ricardo10452

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 06:46:43 AM »

Thank you all for your words... I do not take offense, what so ever. The reason I posted this, was to hopefully bring awareness of the potential danger of certain household items, furnitures, etc... can have on our beloved animals. Things happen for a reason, and maybe my unfortunate experience, can save the life of someone elses animal. You probably would never have thought of checking your garbage can for a missing animal, until this story and thats the message that I wanted to convey, so please feel free to give your opinions and thank you all, for your kind words.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »

i am sorry for your lost, and appricate you posting this. I don.t think i would normaly check the trash can, but when one of my animals would go missing, i.d check everywhere till i found him. I do know chins don't stay in the same spot though. I know my family would have helped me look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up