Poll

Two male and 2 female chin problems...please read

please help
- 0 (0%)
unsure what options are
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 pair of chins..need help...please respond even if its criticism  (Read 3955 times)

sekatsimon333

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile

I have two male and two female chins. the two males and one female were happy together and i got another female in hopes of starting to breed. i have read tons of stuff on the topic but i am still a beginner. i have come to understand my chins emotions and it seems that both males like the new female but she only likes the standard not the beige. the other female is brown velvet and wants to attack the new female in the worst way. the beige male seems depressed that the new female doesnt like him and wont bother with the other female. if you can make any sense of this any have advice or need to know more from me please let me know. thanks in advance....steve

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: 2 pair of chins..need help...please respond even if its criticism
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:37:21 AM »

So you are trying to place all 4 in the same cage?  Bad idea.  Females are dominate so your original female will fight the new girl and will try to kill her if she can.  Your males will fight each other for either female that comes into heat which is probably why one of your males now seems depressed.  In that set-up one of your chinchillas will most likely be fatally injured eventually.  Not to mention the problems when a baby is born. A whole other set of issues! 

I would suggest housing them in pairs instead.  Place the new female in the cage with the male she seems to get along with and leave the other pair together in a different cage.  Also, you might want to read up on how to safely introduce chinchillas.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »

Totally agree!  This set up is a recipe for disaster!
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:55:38 AM »

I agree you cannot safely have 2 males and a female in one cage, so 2 males and 2 females will not work either you NEED to separate immediatly. And for another thing how would you know who the dad was? Do you have any background on these chinchillas at all?
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »

I can't even keep 2 males in the same cage in my chin room. They will fight as soon as a female goes in heat.
Though I do know of many who don't have this problem.
I can put male kits together and sell them as a male pairings and they do fine. But if I keep them they have to have their own cages.
You could out one male in with the 2 females as well. then you'd have one alone.
I would go with Jamie and pair them up.
Debbie.nl.ca

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »

As the upper post metion, it doesn't work for this combination.
You can have 2 choice actually - 2 pairs in 2 cages if you want to breed or separate 2 cages according to gender.

In most case, females go well together after they are well bonding and seldom fight afterwards.
Males are even easiler to introduce, but when they being in the "sex season", they may fight. But still, so many cases males can go very well together.

2 male 1 female is the most dangerous combination, the males is most probable become aggessive to each other when they have "needs".
2 female 1 male is no good at all, one of the female will become very dominant.
2 male 2 female together, in their mind they would not recongise only one sex partner, if the males is attracted by the same female in the same time, it may end up by conflict.

So, let's act immediately to avoid any problem arise!!
Hope you can enjoy the fun of owning chinchillas!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »

Many people have trios with out any problems,seems a pretty common practice.
My first attempt was with a mother & daughter and a new mate. But when Mom gave birth she wanted the older daughter out.
I have a trio together now and am waiting to see. The newest female to the pairing is pregnant. The older seems to have stopped breeding so I'm hoping having kits around her will coax her into something. ;)
From what I know you can put as many females with one male as you can get together.
There are people colony breeders. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

heiwa

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »

Many people have trios with out any problems,seems a pretty common practice.
My first attempt was with a mother & daughter and a new mate. But when Mom gave birth she wanted the older daughter out.
I have a trio together now and am waiting to see. The newest female to the pairing is pregnant. The older seems to have stopped breeding so I'm hoping having kits around her will coax her into something. ;)
From what I know you can put as many females with one male as you can get together.
There are people colony breeders. ::nod::

Yes, it's true, one male with more than one female can go well.
But maybe it's is the cultural concept at myside, something we concern a lots or even too much, that's the reason why I would like to know how is your practice!

For example, other than the bonding question within the chins group, we also concern about the eating habbit of our chins after bonding. Let's say 1 chin eating very fast on pellets while the other eat very slow, what we do is separate them to feed and put them back together after the slower chin finish, while I think that yourside is feed on a quite free choice basis on pellets.

I think all the discussion is a learning chance, and a good experience sharing for me!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »

I think all the discussion is a learning chance, and a good experience sharing for me!!

::clapp::

Yes and for me too.

Yes I fill my dishes every night with what I have come to learn is each chins requirement for a 24 hour period.
Around 1/4 -/1/3 cup for most.
And yes if when I pop in during the day I see an empty dish I will refill.
As the kits are growing they will start to consume more and more.
The biggest reason is the feed can get damp left in the dishes to long and they won't eat it. So to keep it fresh for them I fill once a day.
I have never seen any signs one was over eating.
Most will eat their fill unless their is something wrong.
Just as us no 2 chins will eat the same amount of feed each night. My adult chins range from 500 -1000 grams and up with pregnancies.
Some chins will eat more hay than pellets, while some eat more pellets.
I have a few very hyper chins that eat like horses but are normal at around 600-700 grams.
My heaviest seem to be my laziest chins.
Unless I see a real issue with one, like weight loss, or lethargy I wouldn't see the need to monitor their intake that closely.
They come in all different shapes and sizes, and their intake will reflect it.

Though I always make sure new chins brought in and kits are eating well before they get introduced to the herd. Or in respect to the kits before they are re-homed.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up