Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: in need of some support  (Read 4248 times)

mzmelissa

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
in need of some support
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

I am pretty new here but I would like to share my story with other chin lovers. Last Wednesday my chinchilla went into labor. I went to check on her around 11 am and was horrified when I saw little feet coming out of her. I rushed her to the nearest 24 emergency vet hospital during a snow storm. The baby was dead by the time it came out. The vet gave momma mouse a sonangram and said she did not see any more babies. Several minutes later an assistant comes by to tell me she just had a baby! They give mom x rays to find there is another baby in there. I was still sad about the first baby but it seemed like a miracle when I found out there were more babies. But sadly the runt of the liter is losing weight. I have tried everything kmr, goats milk, nurtical, baby rice cereal, taking the big baby out, feeding the big baby, and nothing is helping. I feel so helpless because all I want to do is save her but I can't  :'( I am completely heart broken I know she doesn't have much time left. She is so precious this just seems so cruel. Watching her slowly slip away is killing me. I wanted to express my feeling on this site because people who don't have chins don't understand. I was told its okay she's just a mouse..not to  me she's my baby ::cry222:::
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:06:31 PM by mzmelissa »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: in need of some support
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »

I'm so sorry.  You are experiencing the heart ache of breeding.  We have all been there.  Even after 11 years of breeding it never gets easier when you lose one.  At least you know you did everything you could to save it.  The hardest part is that some babies just can't be saved.  Chinchillas have two uterine horns and can get pregnant on each side at different times.  This means they are actually carrying two pregnancies.  When the first one goes full term and she goes into labor the second, younger pregnancy is also delivered.  These premature babies hardly ever make it because they just are not developed enough to survive.  I can't be 100% sure that is what happened in your case but it sounds like it. |hugs|

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »

::silly::   As Jamie said, "We've all been there ...". 

It does not make it any easier, no matter how many you loose, each one is precious to you.  Just be thankful you are the type of person that really does love her little ones ... there are so many that do not ... I almost feel sorry for them because they have never felt the bond between themselves and an animal ... it's a love/bond like none other and your life is richer because of it.  Your heart hurts because you care, but all the animals you have had or will have (including your own children) will feel a special kind of love, just because you are their caretaker.  There could be any number of reasons this has happened and animals have a heaven, too ... or at least that is what I believe ... and they are now free to run, play without a worry.  No pain, no illness, no predators and no cages, once they cross the Rainbow Bridge.   :)

Big Chinnie Hugs
  :hugs:  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »

awwww Melissa, how sad, I'm so sorry your going through this, but yes we've all been.
They are so lucky to have you.Like Jo Ann has said some wouldn't care, just pull out the ones that didn't survive. This little darling has you.
Even in the wild sure Mom may have lost her fight, but she's with you and will go on to have many more babies.
Cherish the time you have with them. :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »

it still hurts if it's a mouse.. i don't care what animal it is.. we have feelings..

i tried breeding a few times and i lost a few kits.. i cried my butt off.. it hurt so much... so dont' let anyone say..its just a mouse, it's your baby.and who knows, you soudn like you are doing a graet job, maybe he'll have a miracle...
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

mzmelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:20:46 PM »

Thank you everyone for all of your kind words. It really does help knowing there are other people out there that have been where I am now. My little girl is still hanging on. I stopped weighing her because it was getting so difficult to see her weight keep dropping. I will keep trying. Her mom hasn't given up either she still nurses and grooms her. In better news her sister is gaining a gram everyday.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »

oh i hate the 'ITS JUST A RODENT' phrase people say to you.. it's alive, its our baby, we love it just like any other pet we have.. so it doens't matter the species.

i'm so sorry for your loss.. it is never easy.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »

Aww, i'm soo sorry to hear that

Mcdoog7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »

I completely understand your pain. I lost my first kits a couple of weeks ago. All of Goodie's babies died and I couldn't sleep for nights. I'm sorry that you had to experience this too, it really is heartbreaking. We kind of look forward to the little kits almost like it's the coming of our Grandchildren lol...I know I would joke around and tell my friends I was going to be a Grandma, and I used to put my hand on Goodie's big belly and feel the little ones kick around inside of her. My thoughts are with you *hugs*
Pages: [1]   Go Up