Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clean Up Question!!  (Read 1015 times)

Zillow22

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Clean Up Question!!
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »

Okay, so ive had my chins since january, and i still havent come up with a great way to keep mostly the outside of the cage clean. Not so much the poop, thats easy, use a vacuum! Its the pee....my cage is sitting up on a table so the top of the cage is at eye level with me (also b/c of my 2 dogs), so whenever they pee, it squirts down and out, on the wall floor etc. i have these white plastic-y boards surrounding the cage, to keep my carpet&walls clean.

I clean the entire cage once a week, and since their pee gets sticky on the metal, i use an old toothbrush& hot water to scrub it off (never all comes off tho). Does any one have any other good techniques?? I knew coming in to it they were little messy critters (pooping all over, throwing their hay wherever and so on), so im not at all annoyed, just looking to see what every one else does!!?? Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Thx

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Clean Up Question!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »

Do you have wire shelves in the cage?  If so, the first thing I would recommend is to replace all of theose with wooden shelves.  If you can't get them out you can screw wooden shelves right on top of them (assuming there is enough ceiling space).  Most chinchillas will not pee on wood.  This means they climb down to the bottom of the cage to go and your cage walls stay clean.  If this isn't possible and/or doesn't fix the problem I suggest taking them out of the cage every so often and taking the cage into the shower or out into the yard for a good cleaning.  Soak it down and spray it with any kitchen cleaner.  Stay away from Bleach as it will erode metal after awhile.  Let that sit then rinse well. Let it air dry.  If you are in a hurry it helps to towel dry most of the water then let it air dry from there.  Sun is a great disinfectant so letting it dry in the sun is a bonus.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Clean Up Question!!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »

I calean the cages every third day, you may want to clean it more then once a week. They are messy little buggers. You can also put those corner potty's in and see if that helps, there not that much. I have corner potty's in all my cages. I don't know if this will help but you can try.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up