Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why a chinchilla?  (Read 5013 times)

TheStoryofHurricane

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Why a chinchilla?
« on: March 23, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »

My girlfriend thinks that chinchillas are the cutest animals ever. And I must say that ever since I've been looking into them as a gift for her, I agree that they are very cute. So I'm thinking about getting one for myself as well. I have hardly any experience with animals like this, however I have taken care of a great deal of exotic reptiles and amphibians which are fairly finicky themselves. So anyways I'm just kind of curious WHY someone would pick a chinchilla over other animals? Besides just looks I mean. I'm really just looking to hear how great you think your chinchillas are so I can get an idea what they are like. Thanks! And also hello!-
-Greg

Lost

• View Profile
Re: Why a chinchilla?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »

I don't know, either! My boyfriend is DEAD SET on getting this chinchilla, and I really don't understand why. I don't think he does either, I think he just likes how cute they are.  :::(((

As I've been doing some research on them I've come to some conclusions on other reasons people may like them. They're very curious little creatures, and they like to jump around a lot and seem very energetic. I know having a feisty little critter to come home to after work may be something many people would enjoy. :3

Unfortunately this means I may not get the snake I want for a long while (or ever, since he doesn't seem to like snakes ): ) but I think I can at least like the chinchilla too. They ARE super cute. haha

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »

Chinchillas are tough to keep in some ways (with the temp needs and special diet and required free run, hard to find vets, delicate systems, etc etc)... BUT besides the fact that they are SUPER CUTE and SUPER SOFT....they are very SMART. They can build really strong bonds with humans. They can be very entertaining! It's also a unique pet, which makes it a unique experience. It makes for good conversation too....anyone who finds out I keep chinchillas is full of questions about them. Makes ya feel kind of special. :)

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:30:24 AM »

I agree Lindylu!  Don't forget too that they are companions for a really long time!  No matter how bad of a day I have, I can go to my chinchillas, stick my head in the cage and gets lots of kisses from them and all is good again.  Super smart, entertaining, and you absolutely know when they are happy.

Besides some of the challenges which you get used to pretty quick, I find them to be awesome pets!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »

i think it's all depends on each individual and for any pet that is.

i like them cuz they are just soooo cute... but after i had one i went up to six... can't just have one.. even thou you can't cuddle with them like dogs or cats, i think they are fun to watch.. their little faces they make, their talking, holding onto your finger with their little hand, the ways they stand there, hold their tails.. so many things that i really enjoy from them... 

my sister can't understand why i love them.. she is a dog person, and i am too... i love my GSD but i love my little rodents just the same.. ;)

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:51:29 PM »

well i picked chinchilla over other animals (besides cat and dog, my parents dont let me have one cus we live in an apartment, but now idc anymore, i love my chinnie) because it doesnt smell, a very clean animal, cage is easy to clean, not dirty. I used to have 2 bunnies and their cage smelled so bad, and i even clean the cage EVERYDAY, but i can hardly smell anything even after 1 week without cleaning for my chinnie. Another reason i'd choose a chinchilla is that it's so fun to watch, the way he looks around and run so fast when he suspect that someone is going to catch him, i love how he jump on me and climb up on my head when we play in the bathroom, and other fun/random things that he does xD i'd recommend getting one, u'll love it   :::grins:: i didn't have any other choice of pet so i picked a chinchilla, i thought i wouldn't like him a lot because he's not cuddly, but im obsessed witih him now. I even gave up my comfort bed and sleep on the floor next to his cage hehe
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

smokie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »

I think if anyone is wondering WHY get a chinchilla then definitely don't get one!  I absolutely LOVE my chinchilla for her naughtiness more than anything; if she isn't allowed somewhere it's the only place she wants to go and no matter how hard I try, she gets there (!); also her ability to eat through shoes, handbags, wires without me even noticing as well as having carefully placed them in places she shouldn't be able to reach (think hit and run they're that fast). 
I keep reading that they are clean etc etc and while THEY are clean this is only true because they throw out poops, hays and pee :( and whenever they have their dust bath (every day/every other day) they get that everywhere.  Mine, I'm sure, deliberately dabbles in her bath before proceding to spread it across the floor.
On the cute side, mine was seriously pleased when I returned from holiday and she does this cute thing where she rests her paw on my finger.  SHe doesn't do cuddles but she does sit on my knee and likes to sit on my belly when I'm in bed.

Since getting my chinchilla I don't think people should be allowed chinchillas unless they have loads of time to spend with them every evening.  Mine is out for hours and I even go home at lunchtime to let her out.  The idea of keeping them in all the time would be like keeping a kangeroo in the bathroom!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:37:32 PM »

The most popular reasons I have found are the lack of odour. I've had rabbits & GP's, and wanted something a little less pungent.
I didn't have to walk them, bath them, clips theirs nails,or get them vaccinated.
What I fell in love with when I got my first was their intelligence.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 06:47:54 PM »

i'll say one thing debbie, i wish you could clip their nails.... wow!! they get long.. i actually got scratched the other day by one of mine...lol

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

TheStoryofHurricane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:43:38 AM »

Thanks a lot for your input everyone. I've been out of town so I have not been online for a bit, but this really has helped me out, knowing what you all like and don't like about them. I'm fairly certain we are going to get one or two.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »

i'll say one thing debbie, i wish you could clip their nails

I hear that, you should see my chest. Most times it looks like I walked through the woods in a v neck. :2funny: Friends are aways asking me what happened. :D
I make up all kinds of things and just as they are gasping I tell them  :2funny: Chinnie feet!
Debbie.nl.ca

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »

i love my chinnies for so many reasons. Of course i love my dog because he cuddles with me and sits on my lap, but chinnies are so smart and express their feelings so well. when they're happy they popcorn around and just love to make you laugh. they hold your hand by placing their little paws on your palm. they think they're so sneaky and think they can get away with everything! they squeak and talk whenever they please and love to have conversations with you! they clean each other, cuddle together, bathe together. they clean their whiskers in the cutest way ever. most love scratches under their chin and behind their ears, which is always nice to give. they love chewing my books while i read and giving me kisses. when they know i have food they stand on their hind legs and look at me as to say "come onnn mommy!" my boys are my everything buttttt they are a big responsibility and shouldnt be taken on if you don't have ample time to care for them. they need alot of love and should be given playtime often. if you're willing to take the task on, though, i'd say go for it  ::nod::

TheStoryofHurricane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

Once again thank you all, but one other quick question. How are they at night? Would I be able to keep it in my bedroom?

gina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 06:12:46 PM »

YES! You Will be able to keep them in a (your) bedroom. Caution: cages are made of wire. Chinchillas jump like rabbits. I have had mine 6 months now and have had to move them in the spare room outside mine because the rattling of the cage is so noisy when they play & jump.  They like to sleep during the daytime hours and are awake late night early morning. PLEASE take this into consideration. They (chinchillas) are very (very  ::kiss99::  very) loving pets and I have my 2 boys pretty well trained after such a short time (i.e : daily playtime hours outside the cage, feeding times, they come to me when called by name, wearing their harnesses, etc..) . Just recently upgraded from a one level tall cage to 3 level apartment which is quite large. They still make LOTSA NOISE! Even without a wheel...so I am just saying.....
...Aren't they they Cutest when they're Sleeping?... Gina :)

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:27:50 PM »

yes, you can put them in your room, in a cage of course. I sleep next to my chinchilla's cage everyday since i get the flying saucer. It depends, if you  have a good wheel and a good cage then u'll be fine. Most of the noise that my chin made comes from the wheel. Chinchillas don't make sounds by themself usually, however mine start to bark at night for the last few days (idk wats wrong with him) but after i pet him for a while he'd stop. And you dont have to worry about the odor, i spend all my time next to his cage (i kinda built myself a little room there) and i dont smell anything. And they do make a little noise when they jump, but for me it's not something that would keep me from sleeping, and i think i'm a pretty light sleeper xD
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up