Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing the right cage  (Read 2453 times)

Lost

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Choosing the right cage
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:57:48 AM »

I have two choices right now that I want to consider for the chinchilla I'll be purchasing in the future. However, I wanted some advice from current chin owners.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751768

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752837

Sooo... if you know anything about these cages, please let me know. I think someone mentioned a small animal--a baby hamster or something--being able to slip out of the bars on the six level (the first) cage, for example. Also, it was said that cages with bar floors could hurt a chin's little feet. Would bars on ramps do the same, or would it not matter since they aren't standing on them all day? Any other comments/advice would be great, I think I picked out two great cages but there may be something even better out there.

Thank you. :3

Edit: Just to be clear, this will be for just one chin.

LindyLu

• View Profile
Re: Choosing the right cage
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »

I'd go with the Ferret Nation, personally.
the other one has too much plastic in it!
You should also remove all the ramps from either cage. Chinchillas don't need ramps, they just JUMP.
You can buy wooden ledges to replace the plastic ones if you go with the 1st cage.
If you go with the ferret nation, you will either need to remove or cover the plastic trays.

I have the FN cage, and I removed the center separater...installed a bunch of wooden ledges...and I cover the bottom tray with fleece blankets as bedding. That works well for me. You'll have to decide what works best for you!

See!
(The smaller cage to the side is a TEMP cage. I don't use it often or for long...just waiting a few weeks until the 2 can be together. Since this photo I have removed the plastic ledges in the smaller cage & replaced them with wood ones because she was chewing the plastic. Luckily she hasn't tried to chew the wheel yet, hopefully she can be moved into his cage before she attempts that! hehe).

Lost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »

That's an awesome idea, as I was looking at ledges on petsmart's website. :D

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »

Lindylu what is your wheel made from in the big cage, I've never seen one like that. And where did you get it? I need more wheels!! lol
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:11:25 AM »

That is the 15 inch "Chin Spin" purchased from Quality Cages... it was pricey, but SOO worth it!!

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_142_143_144&products_id=1802

They send it with a few extra bearings, but I've been using the same one since August, and it's still silent.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:14:21 AM by LindyLu »

Lost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »

That's really good, though. We wanna get our chin a wheel, but I was worried that the biggest one advertised on petsmart's website still wouldn't be big enough for him... I think pricey might be worth it, and I'll definitely have to bookmark that page. :3
Pages: [1]   Go Up