Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gus has stones! :( help?  (Read 4724 times)

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Gus has stones! :( help?
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »

So my gf took Gus to the vet and my poor boy has stones? Apparently he cant really pee and thats why he has been in pain when he poops.  they took two x-rays to see the stones. they are trying to get one out now but two are in the ureathra.  The vet referred us to another place that would "flush out" the stones? she said that they would likely take an ultrasound and the total cost would be around $1000

Is there anyone else out there that has encountered this problem?  The vet apparently gave my gf some stuff to treat Gus at home as an alternative but we were told if his condition doesnt improve he would have to go to the hospital. 

She said that stones are caused by city water or dark leafy greens?  I give him kaytee brand timothy hay and western timothy, and we dont live in the city.  I give him water from the purifier downstairs in the kitchen and i wash out his water bottle with bakingsoda and water regularly.

Is there anyone with experience here or advice?  I am trying to explore options because i am not in a position to spend $1000 right now, the vet bill alone with xrays was 245 already.  Is this hospital the only route?  I am at a loss right now and could use some advice asap please..

Harleychin

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Gus has stones! :( help?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

I'm sorry ,poor Gus.I have heard of chins getting stones.
What brand of pellets are you using?Do you give him any calcium treats of anykind?
Sandy

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »

I did give him these faux carrots that were supposed to have calcium but that was ages ago.  I use Mazuri alfalfa pellets, and kaytee timothy hay. i cant wait until 5 so i can go home and check on the little one. i dont want to take him to the hospital....

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »

Oh my how's he doing??
Debbie.nl.ca

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:42:20 PM »

so he hates my guts right now because i force feed him antibiotics the vet gave me, but he seems to be doing a little better.  poor guy struggles to poop and pee.  there was a chance he was going to have to have some procedure to remove the stones but its looking like he wont be needing that procedure(thank goodness) the medicine is sticky and it got on the fur under his mouth and he doesnt like that either. its kind of cute he cleans his chin alot. 

we gave him water from the filter in the kitchen but im switching to distilled water from the store now.  vet says most likely its the water.  also i bought them calcium carrot chews from the store (advertised for chins) and now im wondering if that contributed.  but he at that so long ago i dont think so.

if anyone has any further advice it is more than appreciated.

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »

Hows Gus doing? Most grocery stores have purified water that you can buy by the gallon.Its reverse osmosis purified.
You might want to check the calcium content on his feed and switch to a brand that is lighter.If you do,do it slowly and make sure it's a good quality feed too.

I hope all is well with your little guy.Please keep us posted.
Sandy

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 12:02:49 PM »

So Gus is at the hospital.  He is getting surgery tomorrow or monday.  I'm hoping he'll be ok, Gus is pretty small (ive always called him a little runt) but hes firey, so I think he'll be ok. 
The doctor told me that it was probably not the water (it could have been) but most likely it was the alfalfa.  I use Mazuri brand alfalfa based pellets, but I won't anymore.  Gus is going to get timothy hay and little chew sticks and such (alfalfa for treats on occasion only.)

I have read through different forums, and don't get me wrong I have read that stones are not common and that many breeders have never had complications with stones and preach well balanced diets of timothy hay and alfalfa.  My Doc explained that in the wild chins are scavengers and really eat lots of grasses and sticks twigs and bark.  That being said im sure chins in the wild probably dont live 15-20 years but still.  I just dont wanted to put that out there (please this is not to scare people or persuade them off alfalfa, but rather just so you know MY situation and you may feel compelled to do some research of your own.)

Even still I have switched over to distilled water for my boys, but i cant imagine after a year of purified water that Gus would get a stone.

Another things is that Chins are good at hiding symptoms until their conditions have become pretty severe.   I know this is common knowledge but just hearing it from the vets mouth really reiterates how important it is to monitor your chins behavior and practice being proactive rather than waiting until its too late.

I have 3 chinchilla books, belong to a few forums and browse the net often looking for reliable sources to educate myself on.  I have spoken with breeders, one in particular in california for a few hours, and basically tried to educate myself fairly well.  I can't help but feel like that still wasn't enough since I am now in my current situation.

Enough dragging.  Thank you for your concerns everyone.  I was a hot mess at the animal hospital yesterday when I was getting the news about Gus.  I only hope that he pulls through (I believe he will).  I will be sure to update you all on his condition.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:56 PM »

Oh my poor Gus,  :hugs:

Do let us know.

I guess it's like eating too much Vit. C for us.
Great advise, and yes alfalfa should be a secondary hay, & pellets should be timothy based. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:28:25 PM »

when i first got gus i read that chins should have a balanced diet of alfalfa and timothy, so i have been doing kaytee timothy hay and mazuri pellets.  does anyone know of any good brands that make purely timothy pellets? 

I cant imagine pellets being healthier than the natural hay though.  except for the fact that they have some extra vitamins and minerals.  does mazuri make timothy based pellets?  my vet told me to make sure and check ingredients for pellets that "claim" to be timothy based because sometimes they blend with alfalfa.

also i know you are supposed to gradually make the switch when it comes to foods, but frankly i pulled all the mazuri alfalfa pellets from my boys cages and they are just eating hay and chewing on apple twigs and such for now. 

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:40:42 PM »

I would still do a slow switch.You don't want any digestive problems too.
Oxbow has two timmy based pellets Cavy Cuisine and Bunny T. most Petsmarts carry them
APD has a timmy based pellet too but you need to order it on line.
Please keep us posted on Gus,I'll be thinking of your little guy.
Sandy

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »

I just receieved a phone call from the Doctor and Gus went through surgery ok. All of the stones were removed.  Now all I can do is wait and hope for a full and speedy recovery. 

The doctor seems hopeful.

I will be sure to ask her about switching.  He has been on critical care for about the past week anyways, and im not sure if they have been giving him any pellets.

I must say, they are doing a lot of treatments and im hearing about a lot of painkillers that he is on.  I can't help but feel that they dragged out the process a bit as well.  I don't know.  I cant think right, im so stressed right now.  All i know is hopefully my boy will be coming home tomorrow or weds.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »

That's great he got through the sugery OK

Bless his little heart... ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »

So I got a phone call from the Doctor today.  Apparently Gus isn't being too responsive.  He is under some heavy sedatives but the doc says normally they are a bit more responsive by now. he was just switched to a lighter sedative.  The doc says if his condition doesn't improve by tomorrow that there is a chance he wont pull through. 

I am cursed with a worst case scenario auto switch in my brain but am trying to remain positive.

Gus is a bit of a runt but the Doc said that shouldn't play too much into him not being very responsive.  he sleeps on his side (which he rarely does at home. RARELY).  the bill is already almost 2 grand and I have way over extended myself, i cant really afford to keep him in the hospital more than a day more.   I am going to visit him tonight.  I am hoping he is a bit more energetic because i have been a bit on the sensitive side since he went into surgery and i dont think ill do too well if he isnt feeling a bit better.

The doc told me that it might be the pain, and that when the pain is too much for some chins after surgery they just quit.  so i am going to visit him tonight and ask him not to quit on me.

I don't know what else to do at this point.  I think we are going to bring him home tomorrow.  Unless he is in really bad shape and the Doctor thinks she can help save him, i feel like its best for him to be at home with us. aside from not being able to afford much more time at the hospital, i cant imagine the little guy letting go and me not being there.  but im really hoping that his condition improves by tonight, and most importantly by tomorrow.

I am taking him some of his chew toys (for smell, so he can at least feel a little at home).  Please keep Gus in your thoughts, and thanks for all that have been keeping up to date on whats been going on.  Thanks for all the advice and genuine concern. 

Harleychin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »

They make pain meds that are safe for chins like Metacam.
If you bring him home soon make sure they give you something for his pain.
Poor little Gus,I 'm pulling for him!
Sandy

betty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »

I am sorry about your tiny Gus, I will pray for a speedy recovery for him.  You need to take some rest too, everything is going to be alright.  Stay strong Gus!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up