Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: forcing to hold  (Read 1218 times)

KLF

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
forcing to hold
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:06:01 AM »

Hi all ::howdythere:: First of all I just wanted to say how much I love this site and you all are so helpful.  I have had my chin for over a week now and he still does not like to be held or really touched for that matter. lol. The last couple of days I have forced him to stay in my arms for maybe about 5min to just hold and talk to him.  However he squirms the whole time and I can tell he does not enjoy it.......so my question is should I be forcing this to get him use to being held or should I let him come to me on his own terms?

Srqt

• Minerva <3
    • View Profile
Re: forcing to hold
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:19:30 AM »

You don't want to force him to be held. Chins need to learn to trust you and holding them against their will is not a good way to earn that trust!

Bonding with your chin is a process that take patience, take it slow and easy and you will see much better results.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »

ditto what srqt said..

usually they say for about the first few weeks don't even bother with him.. i mean go in and talk to him, in a gentle voice, and visit with him, heck you can even sit outside his cage for some time, of course you have to feed.etc.. but don't pick him up..

after that, put your hand in the cage palm up, let him come to you...   if he's older than 6 mos, you can use some treats to work with him..  it will take time, and i'm sure someone else can shed more light than i did, i'm not good with the whole process.. but at least i can get you started..

good luck.. it will work.. be patient..don't rush him.. trust takes a long time.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

sarahlydear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »

ok so you have my chin  ;), like they said before, lots of love treats and climbing, when you let him out and if he comes to climb on you give him a treat and encourage it, but leave it at that. if for some reason you have to pick him up, scoop him up walk with haste to where ever you need him, put him immediatly down and give him a treat, he'll quickly learn that being picked up means treat, but dont start this until hes used to you, like a month after youve gotten him, eventually though if he wont let you pick him up you may have to force hold him and make him sit still for a few minutes, then if he does he gets a treat in your arms and after being put down. my chin loved to climb on me and nibble on me and everything else but did not want to be picked up, i held him firmly for a few minutes every day and now he goes around the house making the rounds with me, but dont expect to hold them for to long though, theyre not lovey dovey animals but you do need to be able to hold them if you need to, just remember Take Your Time and Treats

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »

Yes Sarah, I like to sit in front of the cage and let them come out onto me.
I have even put the cage on the floor and sit there so they have to get on me to get out.
Once they are doing that, I put the cage back up and make them come to my hands so I can let them down.
Once that's concurred I let them use the stool to get in and out by themselves. ;)

It can take months. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up