Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TOV ebony?  (Read 5089 times)

buffy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
TOV ebony?
« on: March 08, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »

Hi there,
in our german chinchilla forum we are talking about the fact if it is possible that ther eis a TOV ebony(like a black velvet but with no white belly) or if this colour doesn't exist.
What do you think?
For example, this is a chinchilla of a friend of mine, she was sold as an ebony velvet, what do you think?

chinchillachateau

• Love those dust bunnies!
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Chateau
Re: TOV ebony?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:14:35 PM »

Yes, there is such thing as a TOV ebony.  There was a very nice TOV ebony at one of our CA shows a couple years ago which took Grand Show champion.  I also have a pet chinnie who is a TOV eb... although his color does not completely wrap around his belly.  From the front and side, he looks like a regular black velvet, but once he sits up, you can see the ebony influence on his chest and part of his belly.  It is only dark between his legs and chest area.  Just like with regular ebonies where you can have anywhere from light ebs to extra dark, the same can happen with a TOV eb.  You can have a TOV eb which is so dark, it is solid black and you can't even tell it is TOV or you can have a TOV eb which has very little ebony influence (not a full wrap-around effect on the belly).
Sumiko
Chinchilla Chateau
Board Member of CA ECBC

buffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:43:47 AM »

Thanks for the answer.
Can you show me a picture of your TOV ebony please?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:12 AM »

It is important to be sure there is Ebony in the background of a chinchilla sold as a "TOV Ebony".  When breeding for the very dark veiling all the way to the white belly you can have some dirty belly babies born.  These could be mistaken for Ebony but are not. 

This is a picture of a Black Velvet male I had in breeding.  Its bad lighting, but his belly is actually a beautiful bluish white.  He has nothing but standard and black velvet in his lines but would frequently give me gray bellied babies with several different females because of the extent of his veiling.  It was such a shame.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinchillachateau

• Love those dust bunnies!
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Chateau
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »

It is important to be sure there is Ebony in the background of a chinchilla sold as a "TOV Ebony".  When breeding for the very dark veiling all the way to the white belly you can have some dirty belly babies born.  These could be mistaken for Ebony but are not. 

I've seen that in heavily veiled animals also.  The veiling extends so far it causes ticking on the bellies.

I have attached a couple picture of my boy who is a TOV eb... although I normally just refer to him as a black velvet for simplicity's sake because you can't see the eb influence unless you look at his belly.  He is not a breeding animal - just a sweetie pet boy.  He has ebony in his ped two generations back.  However, the ebony influence is very light.  I will have to get a picture of his chest though because all the pictures I have are of his face, side, or front-facing without a clear view of his chest and belly area.
Sumiko
Chinchilla Chateau
Board Member of CA ECBC

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »

Aww he's beautiful  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »

would these girls be considered a TOV ebony or just an Ebony? I can't figure their colors out!
both have bellies the same color as their lower fur, but they have darker fur on thier backs and one has darker fur on her head. just curious
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »

or are they just "dirty bellied"? they are a mix of black and grey the pictrues don't do them justice thou. I was just curiuos because I am finding these rescued girls a new forever home and I had someone ask me what color they were. I don't want to sound unprofessional by not knowing what to call them!! (I'm trying my hand at rescuing! I've taken in several chins in my area and though questioning and meeting with them I am finding good careful homes) but these two need a little extra socializing so I am working with them while finding a home that I can help them work with the girls also.....sorry kinda got off topic. I would like to know what to tell potential owners about thier colors.
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »

Well as you don't know the back ground it could be almost impossible to tell, so I'd tell the new owners just that.
Give them your best educated guess, based on belly color, paw strips, eye color etc........
If the belly is dirty there's ebony there somewhere.
 If there's paws stripes you have the velvet.
The shades of ebony, light, medium and dark and very distinctive, but just as with our hair color there can be a lot of in betweens. Especially if there hasn't been a good standard in there for several generations back. Mish mash.
I would also recommend these mish-mash chins not be bred. Your only breeding more and I feel my goal as a breeder is to keep the lines strong.
I know, ::nod:: I have seem some really cute mixes that I'd love to have, and have been told hobby breeders don't have to be so picky. ::) As pets it really doesn't matter, but to me it does.
I look at all the mixed breeds of dogs out there now and wonder will we loose breeds all together because some thought a beagle colors would look good on grey hound.. ;D
But you know what I mean.

Be honest, your really not sure    ::nod::
That first one is a med. ebony.... my Leona again  , she haunting me now for talking about her   :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:02:07 PM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up