Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What color?  (Read 4638 times)

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
What color?
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »

My Little one was born Tuesday afternoon 2-22-10 (when no one was home!!) we were not sure on the exact day because we acquired the mated pair after she was preg. and the previous owner didn't know anything about chins so she didn't know when they mated either. Perdy had her little one on the one day no one would be home in the afternoon!!!!!! :doh: Though EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!!

since this is my first little one I'm having a hard time telling if its a girl or boy but I think a girl. We will have to wait and see. I check every couple of days to see if I can tell better yet!! rofl

Mommy is a Black Velvet and Daddy is a Reverse Mosaic. Not sure what baby is going to be. Baby is grey with a white belly and darker fur (almost black) on its back but has a White tail base to tip. Does anyone have any guesses as to what color the little one is? ::silly:: I will try to post a picture as soon as I can figure out this new computer!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:45:39 AM by jacd061506 »
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: What color?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:04 PM »

This page might help you with the sexing:
http://www.huggablepets.com/huggablepets/sexing.shtml

If it has a solid white tail I'm thinking it will be a mosaic.  Does the area around the eyes seem much darker?  Black Velvet's will have a very dark "mask" when they are born. They will also have a black stripe on each front paw. These are the two early ways to tell if the baby is black velvet.  If it don't have the black velvet it will be a white mosaic (sometimes called reverse mosaic if very little white is showing)  If it also has the Black Velvet is will be a White Mosaic TOV. 

You will just have to wait and see.  The mosaic will change color as it grows so more white may appear.  The Black Velvets get darker as they grow.  It will be interesting to see what it ends up as.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »

It's face/ head is all grey. the only dark fur is on the entire rump left side to right side from tail base to shoulders though the fur under the dark in grey.. And everything else is grey except the tail. which is entirely white though I started to notice really dark fur underneath the white on the tail.  My fiance checked gender and said male......I'll check out that site and see if it helps! Thanks
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »

Congrats, so where is the picture  ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »

I've been using my friends computer because mine has been in the shop for 3 weeks. I get it back tonight so I can post pics with the computer I am used to! I promise!  ::nod::

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »

Alright, I think I've got this, so here goes. These are pictures of Mommy and Baby! :::grins::
It's hard to tell in the pics but the tail is white, though underneath it's starting to get darker.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »

Looks like you've got a little standard grey, some sweet.
The belly should be white too, or he could have a dirty belly{gray}.
Then coats can change too. ::nod:: he could be a light ebony with the grey belly.
Debbie.nl.ca

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:05:54 PM »

That's what I've been wondering ::think::. Over the last week that darker fur on his rump has lightened up some, and he looks ALOT like my standards except for his white tail. Would that make him a reverse mosiac since he is grey with white tail?His daddy is the funniest looking mosaic I've seen, he too looks like a standard though he has one huge splotch of white across his lower back and a pure white tail!  ::)
I was just wondering what I should mark baby as. and At around what age should I expect to know his adult colors? He will be two weeks old tomorrow!!!!! ;)

(and still no name for him yet. I spend so long trying to come up with a fitting name that it could be awhile!) ;D

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:23 AM »

Funny thing about white tails and standards.  I have noticed that happens a lot.  In face I just had a set of twins born to a standard and a Black Velvet and one of their standard babies has a white looking tail. Ill try to get a picture later.

The white will fade over time if it is a standard.  You'll know for sure before weaning time.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »

his tail did darken up, but so did he! he is a very dark standard grey. (looks a little like veiling but not alot, so you can tell he definatly does have TOV in him!!! That is the second kit these two have had and both have been dark standards (the previous owner had a kit with them before) wondering if that's all their going to give me single kits that are all standards LOL

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:25:49 PM »

Be patient you'll get a BV one day.  ;D I had a pair of Standard Violet Carriers that gave me nothing but standards for 5 litters.  I was just about to replace the male thinking he must not be a Violet carrier after all and then finally the violet came.   ::dancingspot:: I got a violet almost every litter after that. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »

congrats!!! hes tooo darn cute!!!

i have to ask tho, what exactly is a reverse mosaic.  i have a mosaic.. i get   soo messed up with the colors!!!!   ::tickedoff::  hehe

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »

A reverse is genetically the same thing as a regular mosaic. Most mosaics look white with gray spots. Sometimes there is more gray than white and people tend to "nickname" them reverse mosaics.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Pages: [1]   Go Up