Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I tried the harness & leash!  (Read 2711 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I tried the harness & leash!
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »

So after seeing the cute pics from the Beagle Expo, I bought a small harness & lead. (For Ferrets). I tried Daisy on it last night and she did great! She didn't try to chew it off or anything, she just bounced around like "woohoo! I'm out!" I followed her around with the leash as she ran here & there for a bit. After about 5 minutes I took it off, as to not stress her out on her first run with it. But I'm looking forward to using it again and pushing the time. I'm hoping she gets use to it, and even "cool with it"... it would be fun to take her out on a little walk...just to the mailbox or maybe take her to petsmart to pick out her own toys! LOL

I haven't tried it on Dewey yet. He's older and gets stressed fairly easily. I may give it a run tonight and see how he does, but if he gets upset, I will leave it alone. Daisy is much younger and probably more open to new ideas. Never know though, maybe Dewey will do just as well as Daisy. Maybe even better. He is a good boy!

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: I tried the harness & leash!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »

hahaha that is so great that Daisy liked it! I've been wanting to try a harness for a while, I can just imagine my boys in them  rofl let me know if Dewey likes it!

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »

Dewey HATED it. He was doing flips in mid air trying to struggle OUT of it! He's also used to more freedom though because he gets free run of the entire house. Daisy's free run is always in the bathroom, which is fairly small. So she was just excited to be OUT and running around! That could be the difference!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »

Yes could very well be, ;)

It's a great restraint for those chins that want to see more of their world, but yes some chins would just as soon stay in their cage. While some hate to be out side their safety zone. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »

Hmmmmm......might have to try it!  If nothing else, just to get them used to it.  I would never take them outside my home as we have a huge Hawk and a couple of Bald Eagles in our area.  I have seen them carry off wild kittens before and I would just be devistated if something happened to my babies!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:32:52 AM »

i'v thought about trying it also. I think either both would hate it or snowie would like it and pogo wouldn't. Snowie is more calm. Pogo also trys to get out. They turned one in mid october and i got them 2 nov ago. It would be fun to take them on a short walk outside or around the house.

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:14 PM »

What type/size harness???  I have a soft harness I've used for rabbits, but it's too big for Chico.  Bought a ferret harness (medium) last weekend to try, and it's way too small for him ... I'll keep it in case I ever have a hamster again  :)

Anyway, I took some yarn, braided it, and made a simple harness out of that which fits him and is comfortable for him.  The first time I had him out on it, he ran around mostly trying to get under stuff to hide, and then kept avoiding my touch when I put him back in his cage.  But the second time (yesterday), I carried him around for a while, took him outside to sit on my lap in the breeze, etc., then let him run around the livingroom a bit before returning him to his cage, and he didn't avoid my hand later, so I think he's adjusting quickly to the idea and kinda enjoying it. 

Still, I am wondering if there is a specific harness size that I could get?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:33:25 PM »

I just bought what was called a small animal harness. I'll put a pic of the types I use in my photo album.
Gime a sec   ;)

Go for metal clips too, one chump and the plastic ones are useless.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:42:09 PM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »

That's the type harness I was really looking for!  What are these called, and where did you get yours, if you don't mind me asking?

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »

i tryed the harnest kinda. I got a medium farret one and it was to small also. I didn't try the large one, but it looks like that one would be too big.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »

I got them from a pet store, just called a small animal harness.  ::shrug::
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »

The one I got was for ferrets ... but they also had them for rats...which would probably work for a younger/smaller chin. The ferret one I have was on the smallest and almost too big.... but I have little chins. (under 500 grams)
Pages: [1]   Go Up