Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin with a broken pelvis  (Read 6255 times)

psycho_ash

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Life is study!
    • View Profile
Chin with a broken pelvis
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »

I've posted this on a couple chin forums, but I'm trying to get as much information on this as I can. I just want my chin to be okay.

I picked up my chin (3 year old standard female named Tia) on February 18th from a retired couple who didn't have time for her anymore and didn't really pay any attention to her nor know anything about chins. After letting Tia adjust for about a week, I started getting her out and letting her hop around for playtime.

Instantly, I noticed that she really favored her left hind leg. She didn't use it to hop, she couldn't hold something with both paws because she couldn't rest her weight on her hind legs, she was slow in jumping... obviously a vet visit was in order.

Turns out my little Tia has a broken pelvis! Here are the X-rays... This forum made the pictures very small, so I linked them instead. I'm sorry about the huge images! Descriptions of each X-ray are beneath the image.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/abunai_usagi/pelvisview.jpg
Here's her pelvis x-ray... the fracture is encircled in lime green.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/abunai_usagi/rightlegview.jpg
Her (completely okay) right leg - I'm including it for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/abunai_usagi/leftlegview.jpg
Her left leg - you can see the fracture in the bottom left, also encircled with green.

Needless to say, when the vet showed me these I just wanted to puke. 

Per advice from some hardcore chin breeders/enthusiasts/experts on different forums, Tia is now confined in a small cat carrier and will be for the next six weeks. Also, today I am starting her on a homeopathic regimen consisting of calcarea phosphorica 30c and symphytum 30c. I was advised to dissolve one pellet of each in 1mL of water and administer it to her via syringe.

Hopefully this will knit up... That fracture looks really severe (to me). What do you guys think? Has anyone had experience with a broken pelvis? Any luck with homeopathic remedies in chins? Any input would be appreciated!   
If it were not for physics and law enforcement, I would be unstoppable!

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Chin with a broken pelvis
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »

Hi, I don't have any advice about the homeopathic meds. But I sure hope it work for her. Poor thing. I hope she heals up real fast for you. Good luck, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

Awww Ashton, what a sin. I am amazed she's doing as well as she is.

I had a chin that tried to fly and though the xrays didn't show any breaks he was paralyzed from the waist down. We tried steroid shots but after a week the vet felt I should let him go. He would never be able to use his hind quarter again.

I guess they could operate and pin it all back, or is it too late now for that?

Had one break a leg and spent 5 weeks in a cast. But that is one dickens of a break she has there.
Is she still a happy chinchilla?
Debbie.nl.ca

psycho_ash

• Life is study!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »

Awww Ashton, what a sin. I am amazed she's doing as well as she is.

I had a chin that tried to fly and though the xrays didn't show any breaks he was paralyzed from the waist down. We tried steroid shots but after a week the vet felt I should let him go. He would never be able to use his hind quarter again.

I guess they could operate and pin it all back, or is it too late now for that?

Had one break a leg and spent 5 weeks in a cast. But that is one dickens of a break she has there.
Is she still a happy chinchilla?

I am sorry about the loss of your fly boy... that had to have sucked more than this, because at least I haven't lost her (yet - a few have said that Tia should be euthanized because her break is so bad).

A vet in McKees Rocks, PA (her name is Angie) who specializes in chinchillas (she breeds them and keeps them, too!) looked over her xrays and said that she will probably heal if kept confined, and that it won't be perfect, but it will work. She said that she saw some callous on the bones, meaning that they are beginning to heal. She also advised Metacam, twice a day.

Angie also said that it is possible to plate a chin's pelvis, but she is not aware of a plate small or light enough for that. A chin's pelvis cannot be pinned. And, to be painfully honest, there is no way in this world that I could afford that operation even if it were an option.

The doc I took Tia to (Dr. Hall at Smoketown Animal Hospital) is worthless and I'm about ready to have his head. He looked her over, x-rayed her, and gave me NO information on what to do. He told me to just "make sure she doesn't jump too much or over-exert herself, but there's really nothing you can do". Worst of all, he didn't give any pain medication. Nothing.

Tia had a terrible day today. I think it's because of the rain, but she was huddled and scrunched up in the back of her carrier crying every time I touched her. Her fur is so greasy because I don't want to let her dust and roll around and possibly make it worse. She's eating and pooping and all that, but she is just miserable. Because of her obvious pain, I called Smoketown over and over today trying to get her a scrip for Metacam. I called at 10am, and requested that they fax the prescription to a vet (Carlisle Small Animal Clinic) closer to my house (Smoketown is a good hour and a half away). Between the CSAC and Smoketown, I called them probably 10 times today. Finally at 4:45pm, I got a call from CSAC saying Tia's scrip was ready.

Thank GOD, I thought, and went to pick it up.

When I saw how many doses Dr. Hall wrote for, I had to restrain myself from calling him right then and there and asking what the heck his problem is. The scrip was for. Five. Days. Does he think her pelvis is going to magically heal up in five days? That her pain will just go away in a POOF of fairy dust?

I am so mad at him right now I could scream.

At least Tia took her first dose easily. And she's eating. And pooping. And still likes her rosehips. Still eating TONS of hay (she isn't a big fan of pellets, I've learned - she prefers all hay, all the time apparently... maybe because her previous owners only gave her gross cubes).

Sorry about the long message and the unrestrained passions. I get upset easily about the well being of my babies.

Thanks though Debbie, it really means a lot to me. 

mzmelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »

I am sorry to hear about your baby :'(. I got my white mosaic female from Angie. She is great so I am sure you are in good hands. She will tell you what is best because she really does love chins.

psycho_ash

• Life is study!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »

I am sorry to hear about your baby :'(. I got my white mosaic female from Angie. She is great so I am sure you are in good hands. She will tell you what is best because she really does love chins.

That's what I've heard... I've never met her, as she is a three hour drive away, but if I continue to have bad luck I may end up just making the trip anyway.

In happier news, I rubbed dust on Tia's fur for her and gave her the Metacam (gave it about two hours ago?) and she is feeling much better. Gives me a glimmer of hope, heh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up