Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: wet eye  (Read 16131 times)

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: wet eye
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »

They get clogged the same as humans do.... from dry eyes, dust in the air and other irritants. The drops are basically fake tears...since the duct is clogged, it's not producing enough tears to clear out the irritants. So the drops wash out the eyes, and hopefully help clear the duct by washing away the irritants.
Sorry you're going through this.
If it makes you feel any better my Dewey is not better after 1 vet visit either.
He's gonna have to go back...
(still losing weight and having a runny nose).

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »

hi lindylu

didn't mean to sound dumb, i never had tear duct problems either so i just had no clue whatsoever.. thanks for the explantion.  okay what tear stuff can i buy that is 100% safe for a chin.. i would rather spend a few bucks for that and do that first before going back to the vet.. if is this great healed, if not, didn't spend much money finding out..  but and NO OFFENCE MEANT.. i will ask.. if you give me a specific name of a product, do you know for 100% it will be safe.

i'm sorry about you little one.. it's a pain when they have problems isn't it.. it's never just one vet visit, its way too many!!

well good luck to both of us!!

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »

In the couple I have had with blocked tear ducts it was because and infection caused swelling and as it healed the tiny little tear duct grows over, or seals shut.
In many cases this is permanent, but in a few the tear duct has reopened after a long period of time.
When I was using false tears , and or eye drops some would always get in the fur around the eye, so it always looked matted, worn or ruffled. Then they tend to rub it as it itches, so it does get scuffed up around the eye. I can almost see how bad it is by the state of the fur around the eye. If the fur feels damp/cool and gooey it's infection, if it feels hard and crusty with no discolouration it's usually the dried up eye drops.
I was also rubbing their faces against mine to tell for wetness, but I wouldn't recommend it. An infection and spread to your eyes. Try using the underside of your arm, around the wrist, your not likely to rub that part against your own face, and it's pretty sensitive.  ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

LindyLu

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »

I can't recommend a brand name, as I haven't used any drops except a prescription kind the vet gave me. BUT, his vet DID say "regular human drops" would be fine. I'd just read the packaging and see what's in it. Make sure i know what all the ingredient are, and that there are not a LOT of ingredients.
I can read on my drops I have at home and see if I'd recommend any of them - but maybe it would be better to call a vet and ask them for a brand!
I have chronic "blepheritus" myself, so I know what it feels like to have dry irritated eyes. I have several kinds of drops at home....but I fail to use them most of the time. I'll read though, and see what's in them and which ones I would use on my chin if I ran out of his prescription kind.

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:19:50 AM »

okay thanks deb and lindy..

oh but now i'm feel even worse.. what if his ducts are shut.. is that painful... i have to call the vet, i'm gonna after i end this post...

oh i do hope he is okay....
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »

No it doesn't seem bother them much, looks worse so I felt bad. As long as it's not infected and just dry eye.
I just use true tears now, or if I'm out I'll use saline.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »

hi guys. so sorry for not getting back sooner, i always thought it when i was in bed too tired to get up and it's been hectic lately.

okay so i go back to the vet.. and dr p. is like, there is nothing wrong his eye is fine. i'm like it's damp.. she's like no its not..

::)  i could of sworn it was still damp.. she was very nice and sent me on my way with payign the visit [which i told her i wanted to].  and i'm thinking to myself i know it was still damp... but i get him home and i kept an eye on him for a few days, and it's not damp.. duh!!!  i think i just put so much into worrying about it.. i don't know..... i really did think it was still damp...

i'm just glad he's doing better.

ejan
Your One Stop Chin Shop

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »

Yes they can sure get us worrying, and some times over nothing.

All you can do is keep on eye on it.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 06:43:29 PM »

well thanks everyone for being there for me..
]
jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up